Chinese Perkins

Anybody else notice this on ebay:-

This time a 'sloper'. Come on Dan, dig out the full story of Perkins' foray into these cheap (and nasty?) little imports.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

PA> Shouldn't think Dan was born in PA> 1958.... :-))

PA> There was some strange bidding by the winning buyer, zero feedback, PA> and both seller and buyer have kept their feedback ratings private.

PA> Fishy.

PA> Peter

Pretty certain the year given in the listing is spurious and it actually dates from the 1980's or so. Still before Dan's time at Perkins of course, but I've mentioned these engines to him before and he intimated that they were known at the factory to have been something of a disaster and most were scrapped before they could do any damage to the company's good name - I'm sure the full story would make interesting reading.

Don't know about bidding irregularities, but the final price was certainly higher than I expected

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Hmmm, indeed a Perky. Never seen one of they before ..........

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Shouldn't think Dan was born in 1958.... :-))

There was some strange bidding by the winning buyer, zero feedback, and both seller and buyer have kept their feedback ratings private.

Fishy.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I'll ask the question of my Friend on the Perkins Heritage committee when I go back to work in the New Year. Perkins dabbled with many things over the years including gas turbines and outboards with mixed success. I believe the small Chinese engines were the first shipment as part of a possible joint venture - the quality was so poor (and the were so crude and noisy!) that the project came to a swift demise. I've got the Perkins 75th anniversary official history to read over Christmas - if I find anything else I'll let you know.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

"Dan Howden" wrote (snip):-

Perkins acquired the outboard engine division of the American Oliver company in the late 1950's. Manufacture was moved to UK and allegedly nearly 1000 design changes made to the range! By the mid 1960's Perkins had sold the project on to the Rootes group. (Peter Hunn "The old outboard book").

I can attest to the crudity of the little Chinese diesels. For instance there is no provision for automatic lubrication of the valve gear, instead the handbook advises the operator to remove the rocker cover after every 8 hours running to lubricate the rockers with an oil can - in the 1980's ?!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H