Villiers Mar-Vil

Hello

Does anyone happen to have any information / litrature a on the Villiers Mar-Vil engines?

I have been looking for a long time and have only seen one booklet turn up on ebay which I was out bid on.

I would pay good money for original booklets or good copies.

Also if anyone has any pictures of these engines or their cousins (Utilimotor, Maytags etc) and would be willing to share them then please let me know.

Cheers

SImon

Reply to
K & S Jennings

Check this out:

Fred

Hi Simon, See my web page at

is a couple of Mar-Vil booklets on it. HTH

Reply to
Dave Croft

Thanks for the links guys

Cheers

Simon

K & S Jennings

K> Hello

K> Does anyone happen to have any information / litrature a on the K> Villiers Mar-Vil engines?

K> I have been looking for a long time and have only seen one booklet turn K> up on ebay which I was out bid on.

K> I would pay good money for original booklets or good copies.

K> Also if anyone has any pictures of these engines or their cousins K> (Utilimotor, Maytags etc) and would be willing to share them then K> please let me know.

K> Cheers

K> SImon

No literature or pics to offer beyond those which have already appeared in SEM, but thanks for bringing up this little engine. As I'm sure you know, it doesn't really fit into the general Villiers scheme of things and little seems to be known about its origins - even that great marque Jack Sizer barely mentions it in his books and the illustration he uses is actually a Lloyds Autoscythe engine (though it does look like a close relative). You may remember from our articles and letters in SEM that Ian Barnes and myself both hit upon the idea of it being a bought in design from Johnson at about the same time. In addition to the many physical similarities between the Mar-Vil and Utilimotor, one can now add that manufacture of the Utilimotor transferred to Jackobsen in the 'States at about the same time as the Mar-Vil appeared in UK - presumably Johnson felt they had a better small general purpose engine in the Iron Horse and sold the Utilimotor design off. I think the similarity of the single cylinder Maytags is only incidental.

BTW. The Maytag twin I had off you ran beautifuly for the duration of our club new year crank-up - only problem being that now the main bearings aren't quite so baggy, the coil laminations scuff the pole pieces on the flywheel! Should be pretty easily rectified.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Reply to
Muike.H.

Mike

That would be great pleas email them over - snipped-for-privacy@engineshack.co.uk

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
K & S Jennings

Reply to
Muike.H.

Yes please - even though I'm assuming this is a pdf version of all the jpegs you emailed me a while ago!

Reply to
Nick H

Reply to
Muike.H.

Thanks, so much more digestible than a pile of jpegs!

Reply to
Nick H