Estimated value please

Esteemed Gentlemen ( and any Ladies who may be reading ),
I am one of those who point a camera at your ( mechanical ) pride and joy,
take a picture, and try to make small talk ( which you've heard many times before ). I then eventually post my pictures up on alt.binaries.images.vintage-engineering
Today I was asked a question, which I am not qualifies to answer, so :
Ball park figures please ....
How much would one expect to pay for:
A 1920's Ruston Hornsby I.P. 5Hp ( or 7Hp come to that ) in pristine show condition.
A 1947 Bamford EG1 ( and how much extra for the Bamford Root Cutter )
These were just two items which I picked at random, as the question was a general "How much is one of those worth" .
Regards ( and as always, my admiration ) Barry.

Just my opinion, you understand, but between 2,000 & 3,000 is a reasonable estimate. I know this off the top of my head because I was much enamoured of messrs Ruston & Hornsby's oily charms (still am, actually), was seriously interested in a 7 I P and did some research.
I have no such interest in a Bamford EG1 etc, so will leave that estimation to others wiser than I.
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,

In good condition, and on a trolley, I would value the EG1 at about 130, one of those Lister D class engines but a little less ubiquitous, so worth a little more. I would put it in the same value group as a Wolseley WD of a Ruston Hornsby PT.
My complete guess for the root cutter would be circa 40, final amount depending on condition and whether it's on wheels .
No doubt others will have differing ideas, but that's what I would pay.
Regards, Arthur G
Whilst I have seen Ruston IP's, OK's and smaller HR's advertised at this sort of price I'd be surprised if many people would actually pay that much. Whilst eminently desirable and rising in value, I'd stab at realisable value in the 1250 to 1500 range.... or am I completely out of touch??
My two Rustons (a 4AP and a 1HR) both came home for less than 1K (2 to 4 years ago).
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:43:31 -0000, "Kim Siddorn"

John Ambler Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net http://www.skiprat.net