Fairbanks Morse open crank scored pot

Hi been to look at a Fairbanks Morse open crank which is passing a lot of unburned fuel into the pot. There is also a lot of scoring & me thinks that a Piston ring has broke, scoring the pot. If I suggest oversized rings would this cure the problem? or should I recommend a re bore & an oversized Piston. Cheers Colin.

-- East Coast Nature Guides Lowestoft Suffolk. enquires to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Oversize rings won't cure a knackered bore but I doubt an o/s piston is on the shelf :-). True piston and fit a liner is the perfect solution but is NOT cheap. If it were mine (and as its H&M) I'd fill the scores with JB, hone the bore, measure up and get new rings from Bradford Piston ring Co. The ring grooves would probably benefit from a ride in the lathe. hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Surely solder is more in keeping?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Roland Craven

50/50?
Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

If it's a 3hp Z type, then a Lister CS piston is virtually identical, and makes a good replacement. Even the gudgeon pin size is the same.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET