Fairbanks Morse open crank scored pot

Hi been to look at a Fairbanks Morse open crank which is passing a lot of
unburned fuel into the pot. There is also a lot of scoring & me thinks that
a Piston ring has broke, scoring the pot. If I suggest oversized rings would
this cure the problem? or should I recommend a re bore & an oversized
Piston.
Cheers
Colin.
--
East Coast Nature Guides
Lowestoft
Suffolk.
enquires to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk
Reply to
Colin Jacobs
Oversize rings won't cure a knackered bore but I doubt an o/s piston is on the shelf :-). True piston and fit a liner is the perfect solution but is NOT cheap. If it were mine (and as its H&M) I'd fill the scores with JB, hone the bore, measure up and get new rings from Bradford Piston ring Co. The ring grooves would probably benefit from a ride in the lathe. hth Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
Surely solder is more in keeping?
Tom
Reply to
Tom
Plumbers or tinmans ?? :-) ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven
Ok who can supply new Pistons for the FBMorse? if push comes to shove that is. CJ
Reply to
Colin Jacobs
If it's a 3hp Z type, then a Lister CS piston is virtually identical, and makes a good replacement. Even the gudgeon pin size is the same.
Regards
Philip T-E
Reply to
ClaraNET