Generator Earthing (Nearly OT)

A friend of mine has a new fairground organ & is worrying about the current laws regarding the earthing of 240 Volt AC mobile generators. I have tried Google but it seems a minefield to sort out what is the legal requirements. This could also affect us if we drive a generator off an engine.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

"Dave Croft" wrote in message news:bgb7em$mii8i$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-28197.news.uni-berlin.de...

Don't confuse legal with electrical requirements. Legally, we have to take all practicable steps to prevent danger. This is a general duty of care to everyone and is why we are required to have public liability insurance. Beyond this, I am not aware of any electrical requirements that carry the weight of the law, special locations exepted (mines, quarries, etc.). Electrically, I am a little unsure. It is a minefield, you are quite right. However, it is sortable. Is your friend using his organ for buisiness? (I know that sounds bad) If it is a new machine, then it is manufactured to modern standards and comes with all connection and operating details. If they are not there, then contact the supplier. Also, if it is a comercial concern, the installation should be subjected to a regular inspection by a qualified person. All details are in BS7671, The IEE Regulations, 16th Edition. I have just had a quick look in my copy and there doesn't seem to be an easy answer to earthing. A need for a professional electrical engineer. I suspect that the answer is to instal earth leakage monitoring and disconnection, but don't quote me on that When I show my 240V generator, my precutions consist of keeping it all dry, Making sure that no grass can get near the electrics, position it further than normal from the public, place it on a rubber mat and NEVER run it in the rain. I have tried to run with an earth leakage trip (RCD type) but it trips out as soon as I switch on. I have never found out the cause. As a result, I run unprotected and rely upon keeping everyone away from the machine.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I have visited this dilema several times with several generators. My latest project is a 57 KVA genset so it's kinda importnat to get it right.

The regulations may be different for your country but certainly the principles apply anywhere. The whole earth fault system is reliant on a proper earth return. Return - the keyword The generator should be earthed with a proper earth stake as already mentioned. The generator should be bonded to the genertor chassis, especially if on rubber mounts. and any other exposed metal should be electrially bonded together (

Reply to
James