MAGNALOY COUPLINGS

Hi has anybody worked with these? (MAGNALOY COUPLINGS) The tech page talks about the danger of combustion when drilling so can they be put in an oven to heat expand as I have done with the steel couplings? They are to go on a boat prop shaft in order to cure misalinement. alternatively is there a stockist or user of these as the company in the usa uses an agent to ship and so far has not addressed my query.

Reply to
vic the barge

If they are magnesium, then indeed they will be susceptible to combustion when machining, especially drilling and milling. Otherwise, as long as you don't get them too hot in the oven they should be OK

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

There is an extremely low (i.e. bugger all) risk of heating the coupling to a hazardous temperature.

However whenever you're _machining_ it, then you're creating fine swarf and these smaller pieces are far easier to overheat. If you ever do cook one off, it'll be because the swarf lit first, then acted as a fire lighter to the main lump.

I'd cheerfully do it in an electric oven, but I wouldn't use a bare gas flame and I wouldn't leave it unattended.

I'd also (better safe than sorry) do it in the workshop toaster oven (a handy gadget) because I can put that safely outdoors on a cable. One day I _will_ light up my oven / microwave / chip fryer hot oil bath, doing something ridiculous, so it's good to know that they're the disposables from the workshop, not the kitchen.

I might even heat it in the chip fryer, just because oil baths are generally a better way of doing this stuff than heating in air.

Don't bother with a fire extinguisher, because nothing except running away will help with a metal fire and many of them will only make it angrier 8-)

OTOH, I'd be worrying about corrosion on magnesium in water. Can't say I've ever had a good experience with magnesium or Mg/Al alloys where it didn't end in corrosion problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I saw a maggy fire once. I was in the aircraft industry & one of the big lathes was turning mag alloy. There was a stunning (literally!) bright flash that could have burned shadows into the wall & whilst I stood there with my digit inserted & mouth open, everyone did as described - ran away.

The machinist, an old guy - been in Three Shop when Adolf laid an egg on the roof - walked out of the thickening smoke. "That's it lad, you've seen the best bit!" & then I ran away too!)

God, was there a mess. The place reeked for weeks & when I left a couple of years later, the grey paint they'd redone the lathe with was peeling off yet again. Word was there was summut in the iron & the paint wouldn't take properly

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Why are you fetching couplings from the States when they can be bought here for a lot less hassle? Mark.

Reply to
mark

have you got an address or web site for supply in the uk?

Reply to
back to the boats

No problem with corrosion on magnesium in water unless the boat sinks then my big end would be vulnerable. Where about are you? if I try to heat shrink a coupling it sounds as if I shouldn't stuff it in the gas oven which worked well for the steel flanges.

Reply to
back to the boats