Marconi-Stanley

Just had a reply (once I paid the excess postage!) from the guy who suggests that the little Marconi-Stanley engine may have been part on an APU on the Armstrong-Whitworth Ensign aircraft.

Evidence is somewhat circumstantial but here goes:-

The chap he had the engine from some 30 years ago worked on the construction of the Ensign in the 1930's and also on the scrapping of eight aircraft returned to Hamble in 1947. It is at this time he acquired the engine.

He also sent a copy of an article in 'Air enthusiast' Feb '72, part of which reads reads:-

"An unusual feature of the Ensign's equipment was that is included a rudimentary APU in the form of a small petrol motor, located on the flight deck and permanently to a generator so that a supply of electricity could be maintained for the radio and cabin lighting when the aircraft was on the ground"

I know there our several vintage aircraft enthusiasts in our number, what say you?

A few pics of engine in Internal Fire gallery:-

Nick H

Nick --

Think I have a cutaway diagram of the Ensign -- one of a series published by Aero Engineering. Problem will be finding it ...... Flight always did excellent cutaways of contemporary aircraft. I'm a bit thin on '30's issues. I'll find & check out the '39 British AIrcraft Issue as a first point of call.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Thanks for that, the Air Enthusiast article does have a cutaway but it doesn't go into that sort of detail.

BTW if anyone can cross post to other areas of 'the world of anorack' please do so.

Reply to
Nick H

I have just ordered a full set of indices to Aeroplane (Monthly). As soon as they arrive I will don a dust mask and see what can be found. regards Roland

construction

Roland and Celia Craven