Model Engineer November 15th 1968

My American friend wishes to find out about the "Loyal" cycle engine. Before he buys a years copies from E Bay he would like to know if this copy covers the engine. Also is it just in one issue or covered in several. Any help appreciated including copies for sale. TIA

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Dave --

My records show that Loyal was covered in Vol 134, issues 3357 & '58 (ie the one u identified + 06 Dec '68.). They were parts 12 & 13 of the Edgar Westbury series on Model Petrol Engines

I do have the articles buried in the garge, within several mountains of ME's. Also have multiple duplicates............I'll have a poke about & see if I can find the articles.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

'Scuse my iggorance, but what is a "Loyal" cycle engine. All I get off the internet is this rather tenuous link:-

Nick H

According to Edgar Westbury in the articles above, the System=E9 Royale was developed in France around the 1900's. He has no info on by whom, despite much research ..... There was allegedly an almost identical British gas engine built by Hardy & Padmore as the Ideal, described in a pre-war Model Engineer article (haven't dug that out yet).

An American called A.P Stone of Elfers, FL, rediscovered the Loyal, & built a model engine along similar working principles. I have no idea whether it looked similar .... His version was easy to build, & full drawings & construction details are within the 2 articles in ME Vol 134.

The Loyal was a 2-stroke.which was able to run slowly. It had automatic inlet & exhaust valves, not operated by cams or other mechanism, but triggered by inlet vacuum & exhaust pressure. The only known significant difference between the Loyal & the later Hardy & Patmore is that the latter used a hinged gravity-operated flap exhaust valve, whereas the Loyal valve was sprung.

The engine as built by Stone had close-set twin disc flywheels, with an offset bore outboard of both flywheels.. Aircooled, with narrow radial fins. 1.75"bore x 4" stroke. Usable between

400-1500rpm. Not what I would call a pretty engine .... does look very American in style, although early model engines were designed for ease of build, rather than aesthetics .....

Info ex Edgar Westbury. Paraphrasing, & comments on style, are mine!

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Thanks for that Colin, you have lightened my darkness!

There is a model called "The Pioneer" marketed by The Engineers Emporium and described on the website thus........ "A very unusual 2 stroke petrol engine believed to have been designed in France by Monsieur A P Stone prior to the first world war. Unusual in this 2 stroke, is the absence of a crank case and the inclusion of automatic inlet and exhaust valves operated without cams"......... Apart from Mr./M. Stone having switched continents, it sounds like the same beast.

Picture at

BTW. Most things by Edgar Westbury are worth reading but that sounds like a particularly interesting series.

Reply to
Nick H

Just found a description of theHardy and Padmore version (Southall's Patent Ideal Gas Engine) in SEM issue 175

Reply to
Nick H