Mystery engine update

I've noticed that the baseline engines (Lister D, Wolseley WD, Villiers SV) have started to climb in price. It is not universal and the forty quid D is still about. However, there was a line of them (Class 2, replica Lister wheelbarrow trolleys) at £100 each at Astle Park ( I wasn't there on Sunday, so would be interested to know if any sold, but they all looked like Landmarks to me!) and I've noticed the asking prices slowly climbing in SEM.

Another benchmark is the EW 80Watt, last year £35, now £50 and climbing - although the £75 & £85 for two complete ones and £130 for one minus its rectumfrier at Astle made me smile!

The more expensive stuff has not changed much and open crank engines are fetching about the same as they were last year - and the year before that, come to that. Size is attractive but self limiting as the big stuff requires a commitment that most of us are unprepared to make - unless, like my Parsons, it sits in the drive/garage and rarely moves.

There is definitely more interest in the smaller & more recent engines and WW2 stuff is - I predict - the coming "thing".

I'd be interested to hear what Steve Green has to say on this. As a dealer, he must have his finger pretty much on the pulse.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Hello Geoff, Nice of you to pop up and Make a comment but don't stop there tell us more of what you are unhappy with?

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Hello Hazel, I think you need to be a bit more brave and tell all about what you are unhappy with? I have never had you or Paul contact me over problems with engines that you have bought of or through me, I have all ways respected and told people of Paul's keenness but unfortunately this was never matched by his ability to pay and many times I had to allow him credit at no cost to him so he could carry on buying engines which at the time he had to have. this included a number of engines which I bought back from Ireland and were rough, all this engines had been unloaded the day before and stood in my yard when Paul came and picked what he wanted and it was these which I think you are unhappy with? all engines are sold as seen and most engines have had a long life it's up to the buyer to make sure that he or she is happy with what they are buying at the time.

Yes I make money out of engines and as a result of that alone I will have enemies in the engine movement but I have made thousands of people very happy by supplying them with engines and parts that they otherwise would not have had!

I leave you with this thought I can only survive as an engine dealer if customers keep coming back and as I do not advertise then how come I keep so busy (7 days a week) on just old engines. no one person is perfect but it looks to me at the moment that I have two ex customers that are unhappy but have never told me! and out of the thousands that's NOT bad.

Best Regards Steve.

engines from Mr Green and will not be doing so in

Man. He has not dealt with Mr Green since nor

Reply to
Steve

Hi, I note your comments and thank you for them.

Regards Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Hi Mr Siddorn, This one is not easy for me to answer as I only buy and sell engines which tend to be of an earlier period and which are of higher value. there are two sorts of engine enthusiasts those that show and those that don't well not much any way, yes Engine prices are not what they were it has become far more complicated to what it was 5 years ago. your average Ruston AP and IP are not worth what they were and nor is your amanco or other USA built engines unless they are of special size or rarity, but if you have an Engine of 1900ish or before then wow" you have a serious investment as this sort of engine has sky rocketed.

The Engines to which you refer to have indeed come on in price and are becoming more sort after mainly I think as there is now a shortage of undiscovered engines and things move on in terms of what's available I hope this is of some help to you but if you want to be more specific on a certain question then by all means try me again.

Best Regards Steve.

Reply to
Steve

The 'some' is a little worrying Roland, but I do agree - It's a no win situation.

Reply to
Nick H

Dear Mr Green, I am at a loss as to why you interpreted my post as criticism of engines Paul purchased from you, were you expecting some?

My statement was that we have not purchased engines from you as a museum and would not be purchasing engines in the future.

As a museum we do not deal with commercial enterprises such as yourself - you have stated you are a dealer.

As a museum, our aim is to preserve the industrial heritage of the UK in the UK.

I do not feel any further dialogue would serve a useful purpose.

Kind Regards Hazel Evans

Director, Internal Fire Museum of Power

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

Having now perused this thread through Google (as some of its participants are in my killfile) I see a of lot of clever words and no possibility of a satisfactory outcome. I suggest it should end here. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Hi Again Hazel, It is sad to see that you still have to speak in defence of your husband cant he stand up and be counted ? or is afraid that I might disclose some other information which will harm his museum ?

Steve.

Paul purchased from you, were you expecting

and would not be purchasing engines in the

you have stated you are a dealer.

Reply to
Steve

I am Still waiting for your reply Geoff !!!.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve