NG doldrums?

At the risk of making this NG seem even more self-referential and further alienating the very people we need back, here is part of my response to an off-list email from an erstwhile regular contributor:-

I think it a shame that so many regulars seem to have dropped out the NG, I find it a really valuable resource but of course every deserter makes it less so. The bulk of the OT banter and gentle ribbing is surely no worse than than one might expect from friends at a club meeting (Oh the flack I got when I took the pink Kubota to a crank-up!). When it all gets a bit nasty, it is usually the fault of the medium which sometimes makes it difficult to read between the lines to judge the spirit in which a post was meant. Admittedly there are a few professional trolls who are probably best ignored - but that is the price you pay for an open forum, most moderated sites seem dull and sterile in comparison. (Think I might post that last para).

Reply to
Nick H

Everyone has their own preferences. likes and dislikes. There are also many more sites now that have mailing lists that provide on-line conversations, I subscribe to three or four myself.

One of the more obvious 'lacks' is specific engine details/discussion. Most people have their own pet likes in terms of mechanical devices, and it seems that the NG tends recently to drift away from specifics into generalizations and OT stuff.

Newsgroup manners are generally OK, trolls are kill-filed so not a problem. Peter

Prepair Ltd

"Prepair Ltd" wrote

generalizations and

I'd like to hear about you faves Peter (off list if you prefer) the ones I've dipped into either seem half dead with no posts for days on end or consist of so many sub groups (eg the usa one with Sparks-n-arcs as part of it's make up) that I get lost. Also most are web based and I have recently found that usenet really comes into its own with a mobile device - one can synch with the server in a few secs, read and reply off-line at your leisure, then re synch to send the replies and pick up any new posts whenever is convenient. With web based forums it seems you really need to be on-line for the whole duration.

Reply to
Nick H

My regulars are Oldengine.org, Acmoc.org and Smokestak, where I am one of the sponsors of the site (along with a lot of others)

Oldengine is quieter as most of the Americanos are on the SEL List (was Atis) Acmoc is the Antique Caterpillar Owners Club. Smokestak you already know of.

I spent most of last weekend updating the website at home and listening to the cricket on-line, a most pleasant pastime!

I couldn't spend 24 hours a day on engine stuff, life's too short for that. I can catch most stuff during the day here at work, and just top up in the evening.

Have to work the rest of the time :-)) Peter

Prepair Ltd

"Prepair Ltd" wrote >

Thanks Peter, I'll have a look.

It may seem as if I spend 24 hours a day on NG etc, but in reality I seldom even switch the home PC on during the week, though I might have a quick peep or two on the handheld at some time during the evening just to see if anything is going on (usually disappointed just lately). During 'working' hours is a different matter, I have to check regularly for company emails anyway, and to be honest the NG helps stave off terminal boredom!

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote (snip):-

Am I understanding correctly that these lists send all the posts to your email address? Can't say that prospect fills me with delight.

Reply to
Nick H

"Prepair Ltd" wrote

And SEL?

Reply to
Nick H

No, only Oldengine.org, the others you log onto.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

That is email-based.

I have a Gmail email account for the engine email lists, keeps my main email free for other stuff.

I came off the SEL list a while back. Peter

Prepair Ltd

"Prepair Ltd" wrote

Cheers, sorry to be a bore.

I must have registered on smokestak at some time because I posted an appeal for info on Delco-Light 7B12. I have tried a few likely user names and passwords but can't get back in - guess I'll have to re-register.

Reply to
Nick H

"Prepair Ltd" wrote (snip)

I particularly enjoy the 'wot I dun at the weak end' posts, covering rallies visited, progress on projects etc etc. A bit of vicarious enjoyment is always welcome, especially if things are a bit quiet on the home front.

Reply to
Nick H

Email Harry Matthews and ask for your password.

I'll send you his email address tonight.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

PL> Email Harry Matthews and ask for your password.

PL> I'll send you his email address tonight.

Already re-registered and spent some time fishing through the archves for F&J stuff!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Harry does a good job IMO, and there is a huge classifieds section that is always worth trawling through.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

I tend to agree with both of you and I will say that I put up OT stuff if only to move the group along but then it gets hijacked and that annoys me. I also find that through the newsgroup I have made what I now class as very good friends, present company included, and now find that if I want to find out something etc I email to the individual directly who I think can help me. Also at Burford for instance I can enjoy a bottle of wine or beer with quite a lot of the ex regulars and chew over the cud without the rubbish which tends to get attached. I am tending to get less and less involved with the NG because its becoming boring and samey.

Mart> At the risk of making this NG seem even more self-referential and further

Reply to
campingstoveman

It may be that way to old timers here, but those of us new to the group still want to make friends. Yes, there will always be some who are disruptive and have nothing better to do, but it is still important to keep the group alive if only as a "doorway" for interested newcomers to enter into the inner circle.

Al

*************************************************************** Gentlemen,

I tend to agree with both of you and I will say that I put up OT stuff if only to move the group along but then it gets hijacked and that annoys me. I also find that through the newsgroup I have made what I now class as very good friends, present company included, and now find that if I want to find out something etc I email to the individual directly who I think can help me. Also at Burford for instance I can enjoy a bottle of wine or beer with quite a lot of the ex regulars and chew over the cud without the rubbish which tends to get attached. I am tending to get less and less involved with the NG because its becoming boring and samey.

Mart> At the risk of making this NG seem even more self-referential and further

Reply to
alspam1

What part of the country are you from, what does your collection consist of and what are your interests.

Mart> It may be that way to old timers here, but those of us new to the group

Reply to
campingstoveman

Hi,

I live in Mid-Wales (Tywyn). I'm just starting out with engines, and only have a humble JAP Model 6 I am replacing the main bearings on, and a little petter AA1 I seem to have purchased at the Internal Fire Auction in April. I do have two Lister CS Diesels available as soon as I have built my trailer to collect them, which should be done in the next week or so.

Humble beginnigs I'm afraid, but we all have to start somewhere :)

I enjoy the nostalgia, having spent my early years spending my pocket money paying for a train ticket to Birmingham from Bromsgrove (1/10d return) and then enjoying a day in the Science Musem. I don't have any great aspirations, and finance is severely limited, but what the hey, there is as much history in little engines as big ones :)

Al

********************************************************************** What part of the country are you from, what does your collection consist of and what are your interests.

Martin P

Reply to
alspam1

I as a lad lived in South London and got taken by my Grandfather to the science museum, I would not go in and when he finally succedded he couldnt get me out and now at least once a year I still visit the church of engineering.

Mart> Hi,

Reply to
campingstoveman

(snip)

a> I enjoy the nostalgia, having spent my early years spending my pocket a> money paying for a train ticket to Birmingham from Bromsgrove (1/10d a> return) and then enjoying a day in the Science Musem.

I was at Aston University from 1979 and spent many an hour of quiet contemplation in B'ham science museum. I loved the communications hall, the Mobil Railton LSR car and of course the various engines which ISTR included quite a few Scott prototypes, no doubt donated by Aerco Jig and Tool. I wonder whay has become of the exhibits which did not make the transition to the new 'Experiance Centre' or whatever its called?