O/T car clutch

My car clutch began dragging a few weeks back. It turned out the bearing between the gearbox input shaft and the crank has siezed. Now I've replaced a number of clutches over the years and never had one of these fail before. The last two clutch changes (different cars) have been because of this bearing. Both had done over 100,000 miles so I'm not complaining, just surprised. Both times I replaced the clutch at the same time as they had worn low but neither had actually worn out and weren't slipping.

John

Reply to
John

When we took the engine out of our V8 Disco, the pilot bearing fell out in two very battered pieces, it was a bush to start with...

Gave the new one plenty of HMP lube.

Cars used mostly on local runs tend to wear the bearing more than cars used on longer trips.

Don't sit at the lights with the car in gear and your foot on the clutch.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

You mean the rear-most (assuming a longitudal engine) main crank bearing, just in front of the clutch? Or the clutch release bearing?

I've known the latter fail due to various things (excessive heat, dirt/moisture ingress, plain ol' wear) but to have a crank main bearing go on different engines seems unusual.

Are you going to tear it apart? Analysing the bearing faces might give clues as to the cause - I think it's possible to determine things such as simple fatigue, incorrect installation, wear due to lack of lubrication, wear due to dirt ingress etc.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

First motion shaft pilot bearing in the flywheel.