OT - 30M rebuild

I've asked for info and assistance here several times in the last few weeks and I thought you'd all like the opportunity to see what I'm doing. I've uploaded a number of photos showing how the bike was before I started, the engine & gearbox being stripped and rebuilt, parts plated and powder coated, new bits and a couple of modifications. Finally, it going back together.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Coming on well, you look set for some summer fun - still not convinced by that front rim though!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

My guiding light says that it makes a difference on unsprung weight and I am paying attention. No heavy headlight, lightweight steel front mudguard, only rear stays and the centre bracket, Ali rim, speedo carried on the sprung side of the fork etc.

And I do love the way ali rims look. ;o))

I saw this thing on YouTube (can't find it now!) where a bloke fitted a tyre using a thin polythene rubbish sack. Needing to fit a new 21" x 3.00 tyre to my pristine new aluminium rim, I thought I'd give it a try.

Lay the wheel on a bit of carpet & drape the fully extended rubbish sack over the wheel, double thickness - i.e, don't put the wheel IN the bag!

Put the tyre on the sack and kneel on the edge whilst pushing the tyre onto the rim. No drama, no fuss - it's just on.

The sack makes getting the valve in the hole a bit fiddly, but once the tube is in, push the other side of the tyre into place.

Done - no levers, no washing up liquid, no talcum powder, no mess, no scratches.

The rubbish sack will just pull out - I broke the handle, but the rest of it was perfectly usable afterwards!

What a revelation. All those years of struggling, cursing, trapped tubes, scratched rims. Another reason to carry a rubbish sack in the toolbox.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn