OT - but very pretty

Two Vincent Black Lightnings with the engine of a third still under restoration resting in the California sunshine .

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Off Topic, maybe, but certainly On Target.

Beautiful - where can I get one?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

And I remembered this -

Albert Moule (a European circuit racer of note who was a cammy Norton privateer in the fifties and early sixties) told me of an experience on an Italian circuit.

The rider was using a conveniently placed, peculiarly marked trackside stone to judge his braking point into an otherwise featureless corner. He was doing well and had no-one in front of him, but it seemed to him that his brakes must be fading because each time he came into the corner he seemed to be going faster.

Eventually, he overdid it and fell off.

Upon picking himself up and finding most of him still worked, he picked the bike up and sat on it, awaiting the end of the race. Gazing about him, he saw the stone walking slowly by, being a tortoise ...........................

Regards, Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Back when I used to organise and compete in car rallies, I put on an event and did the role of course car. This involves driving around the route ahead of the competitors to check the marshal points etc. There was this one left turn off a very straight B road into a farm track. There were no landmarks on the map but I had checked the route and knew that a garden centre entrance was just right for a spot of late braking. Well the night arrived and I was well into my stride. The car was going well with a nice exhaust and a full set of lights At ???mph I saw the garden centre and braked hard. At the last minute, on with the handbrake and we shot left into the farm track. The courting couple in their parked car had the fright of their lives as we stopped alongside them.

John

Reply to
John Manders

That particular story was accredited to Bill Ivy.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

snip> Back when I used to organise and compete in car rallies, I put on an event

Hi John, about three years ago my mate & myself were on our mountain bikes on the old Cat & Fiddle pass track. We passed a Range Rover with both occupants totaly nude. It was daylight but they must have thought that they would have time to cover up if they heard another 4WD coming on the track. Bicycles are very quiet. 8^)

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft

What a nice engine. Shame to hide it under one of those motorbike things. 8-)

Did Black Lighnings have HRD tank logos ? I thought they said Vincent?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

When Phil Vincent acquired Howard R Davies' company in the 1930's , he kept the logo merely adding a small cartouche containing "The Vincent" above the HRD. However, 'some time' (help please Kim!) after WW11 the HRD was dropped, some say to avoid confusion with Harley Davidson in the important American market. I don't know if the markings on Lightnings differed from those on contempory Shadows, Rapides etc.

Reply to
Nick Highfield