OT: interesting none the same

Gentlemen,

Shuttleworth Aircraft Museum had an airshow today so whilst I was fitting new brake seals and shoes to the Bedford I had a good vantage point as they pootled around waiting their turn. One of the displays I thought a little different was a Diamond formation of a Vought Corsair, Spitfire, Hurricane and a Sea Hawk. Unless the Spitfire and Hurricane were Sea etc I thought it an odd combination.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

There were Sea Spitfires, AKA Seafires and Sea Hurricanes as well, I think there is a Seafire being restored at the moment.

Mart>>

Reply to
campingstoveman

Just got back from Old Warden.

They were a Seafire, Sea Hurricane, Sea Fury and a Sea Hawk. So three Hawkers and a Supermarine as the odd one out.

Still looked odd to me, but the Sea Hawk is very pretty..

I think the Sea Fury and Sea Hawk were from Yeovilton.

J - usually just a lurker

Reply to
johnb - UK

Half true Tom, the Sea Hurricane 1a was indeed take off only as it was not fitted with an aresestor hook, but the Shuttleworth Collection has the only remaining airworthy 1b which does have the hook so could land on a carrier. The history of the plane is on their web site.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Johnb

Three out of four not bad, from a distance without bins (and side on Tom) it looked like a corsair and certainly you could hear the radial.

=A316.00 per adult was a bit steep or am I out of touch with airshows.

Mart> camp> > Gentlemen,

Reply to
campingstoveman

Nah! Get yer sea boots on!

It was on the Sea Hurricane Mk1A that 'adn't an 'ook. All the rest had!

Goldstar 31 'er

Reply to
norman

The engine note was distinctive and a truly 'radial' rasp, but the Gloster Gladiator sounded even better.

I think £16 isn't too bad especially for the unique experience of Shuttleworth and to help it keep going. Not many chances left to see original aircraft flying and even the Edwardian replicas are impressive in their way. Warehouse aircraft museums are OK, but there is nothing like working machinery.

First time I have been apprehensive at an airshow, watching the 1909 Bleriot hopping down the runway with people stationed along the edges to catch the wings if it landed and went astray! Unique sight with a brave man at the controls.

I hadn't been before so we hadn't packed the table (with tablecloth and cutlery), chairs, parasol, wine and cold lunch that seemed to feature widely. It is nice and compact with a really good flightline and view.

£32 for RIAT in July for comparison, although we are promised an Osprey. Might be nervous again with that in the air, given its track record.

Hope I am not breaking your NG rules too much with this OT stuff. Apologies if anyone gets upset.

"jfmb00[nospam]"

I used to do all the Airshows I could get too until it became Tornado's and F16's then I got bored, now I do Lister's and more Lister's............................ :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman