OT: Rover

Gentlemen, I see on the news tonight that the Viking ship is about to go down for the last time :-((

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It it very sad that it should have come to this, though I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering exactly what Rover had to offer SAIC except a name.

If you really want to make your blood boil have a looks at this article:-

Nick H

Interesting. A least they are pulling something from the wreck of a Co. that actually died 40 years ago :-( ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

It was going to be inevitable once suppliers starting pulling credit, you cannot just switch suppliers when the tooling is in one place and you owe them money for work already done.

It was always going to be a risk, but 4 extra years of jobs maybe was worth it.

Better this than have a Chinese built Rover car which probably wouldn't have sold anyway.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Rover has never been any good since British Aerospace went behind the back of Honda and sold out to BMW. They got what they wanted out of the deal - "Mini" and sold the only other good bit (Land Rover) to Ford. The shit bit that was left was sold for £1.00. Now a top of the range BMW is badged up as a Rolls-Royce. Charles Rolls and Henry Royce must be turning in their graves.

Reply to
Paul swindell

And it's hideous, IMHO. The one thing it's really short of is a gun turret. The new Bentleys look quite good though.

They've probably been gone lone enough to be past caring

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Rolls certainly went down when they stopped offering those as a factory option.

I want two Rollers. One to be a '30s Silver Ghost pickup, with a built-in engine crane. A pair of them were supplied to the Schneider Cup team, along with the R engines.

The second to be a dog of a mid-'70s Shadow, cut down at the back to become a pickup. The roofline lowered, matt black paintjob and the inside trimmed in aluminium chequerplate. If I have an outbreak of taste, I'll skip the Confederate flag on the roof.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

You are Roland Riveron aicmff squeaky wiper blades.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

1978 MGBGT with 98,000 miles and mostly original. Mini with c250,000 miles. 1060 and most definitely NOT original. Good for 125+mph though and fun with it. Wife's 100 (Metro) has 150,000 trouble free miles but no MOT now.

John

Reply to
John Manders

?
Reply to
Tom

73 BGT c125,000 original except those bits lightened by iron moths, wife's from new, currently awaiting MOT following patching, b****y annoying to see the ziebart process hardly penetrated any of the close sections, almost designed in rust traps don't help. 76 and 89 V8 LRs

AJH

Reply to
sylva

73 BGT? Fairly tenuous relationship to Rover..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Only Rover I've owned was a 1947 12 Tourer(allegedly only circa 200 were built), which I had for most of the '70's & half the '80's. It had to go when I was spending most of my time away & nowhere to store it. Nice car to drive, I could drive all day & feel less tired afterwards than with many more modern cars. Front seats were angled inwards slightly, I don't know whether that had any bearing on it.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

????

Tenuous? When the company is called MG Rover?

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Gday Tom The name Rover has fairly tenuous links to the original company. I honestly cannot remember the timing or sequence of events as the industry went down the tube.

It amazes me how the demise has been predicted since the 60s and has gone largely as predicted.

Hooroo

AJH

Reply to
sylva

"Nick H" wrote (snip):-

Now it appears that MG Rover does not own the Rover name, which was retained by BMW, but SAIC may already have aquired the rights to produce the cars! What of all the other brands which were absorbed into BMC and the British Leyland?

Reply to
Nick H