OT steam engine accident

Peter asked the question below on the ATIS list. -------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard that there was a steam engine accident recently in the UK . Seems a woman lost a leg ......do our UK members know anything re the circumstances? Peter Ogborne Little Grove ,Albany West Australia --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I haven't heard anything & Google doesn't help so I thought I would ask if anyone here had any information. TIA -- Dave Croft Warrington England http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv
If steam engine means steam locomotive - wasn't there an accident in 2005 when a locomotive of something like 2 ft gauge hit a car on a level crossing. If you mean stationary steam engine, I can't help.

Peter Short wrote:

It was mentioned in Old Glory a while back, a traction engine I believe, slipped it's brake (if it was on) and rolled onto her.
Joules
Here's the BBC article concerning the incident
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4595501.stm
Joules

"The lady, who was on the _hotplate_ at the time, jumped off... "
Thanks Guys, I will pass it on to the USA.
-- Dave Croft Warrington England http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv

Yerst. Oddly enough, I was watching a Fred Dibnah programme on cable last week & one of his boys was leaping on and off a steam roller, dropping to the ground immediately in front of the rear wheel. He did this a couple of times in one shot, ending by running around the front of it whilst in motion. It lurched to a halt & it was obvious that he'd choked the wheel away from camera.
"One slip", I thought ..............
--

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:21:59 -0000, "Kim Siddorn"

You can't chock rollers anyway. Wheels that size will roll clear over a chock, if they have a mind too (with gravity or inertia behind them).
If you're going to lift a roller (such as for replacing the perch bracket) the real chocks for holding it reliably have to be a couple of feet high and take two people to carry them.
In the case that Kim mentioned, I was watching it too, Fred was demonstrating the inefficiency of roller brakes. The back wheels were locked and were "skating" downhill on the road surface. Jack jumped off the offside, ran round to the nearside rear and chocked it with what looked like a rough cut piece of wood about 4 " square. The roller promptly stopped dead. I believe the episode was the Road Transport section of the "Age of Steam" series.