OT steam engine accident

Peter asked the question below on the ATIS list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have heard that there was a steam engine accident recently in the UK . Seems a woman lost a leg ......do our UK members know anything re the circumstances? Peter Ogborne Little Grove ,Albany West Australia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- I haven't heard anything & Google doesn't help so I thought I would ask if anyone here had any information. TIA

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

If steam engine means steam locomotive - wasn't there an accident in

2005 when a locomotive of something like 2 ft gauge hit a car on a level crossing. If you mean stationary steam engine, I can't help.
Reply to
Peter Short

It was mentioned in Old Glory a while back, a traction engine I believe, slipped it's brake (if it was on) and rolled onto her.

Joules

Reply to
Joules

Here's the BBC article concerning the incident

Joules

Reply to
Joules

"The lady, who was on the _hotplate_ at the time, jumped off... "

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks Guys, I will pass it on to the USA.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Yerst. Oddly enough, I was watching a Fred Dibnah programme on cable last week & one of his boys was leaping on and off a steam roller, dropping to the ground immediately in front of the rear wheel. He did this a couple of times in one shot, ending by running around the front of it whilst in motion. It lurched to a halt & it was obvious that he'd choked the wheel away from camera.

"One slip", I thought ..............

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You can't chock rollers anyway. Wheels that size will roll clear over a chock, if they have a mind too (with gravity or inertia behind them).

If you're going to lift a roller (such as for replacing the perch bracket) the real chocks for holding it reliably have to be a couple of feet high and take two people to carry them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON