Re: O/T Sturmey Archer gears

Seeing the post about the Sturmey Archer engine reminded me of something I

>saw at Old Sodbury. A folding bicycle with six speed Sturmey Archer gears. I >have seen 3 and 4 speed versions before but never 6. Closer inspection >showed it had 2 gear levers on the handlebars and 2 selector chains, one >into each end of the wheel spindle. I must admit to being tempted if only >for it's curiosity value but left it there finally. >Anyone know if they are as rare as I think they are or have SA made loads >and I am completely out of touch? >

I used to have a tandem with an 8-speed SA, but that was really a

4-speed with a 2-speed Cyclo derailleur added. Never seen anything more than 4-speed internal, but I've probably led a sheltered life

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Hi John, Putting my Vintage Bike collectors hat on, as far as I know the only Sturmey with 2 control cables was the S5 5 speed. A later variety had only one cable. I have the maintenance info for all the earlier gears but the S5 came o/s my interest.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

SA did 3,4,5 and 7 speed hubs. They had a prototype 8 speed out when Sun Race bought them out.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

AFAIR the neat thing about the 2-speed conversion on the SA was that it was almost all standard parts. This is going back nearly 30 years, & it was far from new then, but my recollection is that the (standard) input sprocket on the SA hub was offset, on some sort of spline & held in place with a circlip. The conversion managed to fit two standard sprockets back-to-back, with a more or less standard Cyclo/Benelux shifter, & I suppose the hub was bulit into a specially dished wheel. Any spares needed could be supplied by any decent cycle shop of the day. ISTR seeing these things advertised in my schooldays ( maybe in Meccano magazine? ), but the one I had was the only example I actually saw in reality.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Well worth pulling some to bits Tim. They use 32 DP gears, the same as the metric ones on the CVA

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Have a look at the following link - it's a very interesting site:-

jrlloyd