engine govenors

I've got a Petter marine engine in a canal boat, and i want to run a fixed speed alternator from a welder generator of it, as a auxillary PTO, i imagine the variable speed the govenor will not like it much, anyone know a way around this problem ?

Reply to
Motor

[...]

Well, I'm not sure if I've had too much Californian wine, but do I see

10 copies of this post??

The variable-speed governor just allows you to vary the output speed, you can run it at a fixed speed without any problems.

Peter

Reply to
Listerdiesel

---------------------------------------------------------- Perhaps he has a fleet of ten boats ;-) Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

or a stutter ttfn roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Sorry, for overdoing it, i blame the pc ( because it can't answer back !)

Reply to
Rich.

When i take the alternator on and off load, won't the engine rev like mental ? Like taking it staight out of gear when belting along at full speed ! I will need to keep the variable speed govenor on the engine, i can't change it, and the fixed speed govenor, and weights are different. ?????????

Reply to
Rich.

No, a governor is designed to maintain a set speed.

Even a fixed-speed governor has a range of adjustment, it just doesn't have the continuous range that a variable-speed one has.

Peter

Reply to
Listerdiesel