Stirling engine rally

Heads up for this coming sunday's event at Kew Bridge Steam Museum
http://www.kbsm.org/events/task,view_detail/agid,3/year,2006/month,04/day,02 /

--

Nick H

Add pictures here
✖
Nick & List,
I hope to have one of the new Indian manufactured Listeroid engines at Kew this Sunday if all goes to plan.
Yes I know it's not a Stirling, but it sure makes use of hot-air!
Ken
Add pictures here
✖

Just followed the link from wastewatts www.powercubes.com/listers_12.html . is it right that both the 6 and 12 HP models are singles and, if so, where does the larger(?) engine find all those extra horses within the basic CS design?
BTW has Mark sold one to Dick Strawbridge yet http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id êsy_green ;-)
--

Nick H

Add pictures here
✖
Nick H & List,
The Indian "12hp" engine has a larger bore (120mm) and is running at 1000rpm.
Whilst as a CS purist I don't particularly support these changes, I am willing to accept a 10hp output at 850rpm.
This is a new venture, and a steep learning curve for all involved.
We think that we are able to supply components for rugged back-up generators at realistic prices, and offer economically priced quality spare parts to keep UK built CS engines running.
see you Sunday
Ken
Add pictures here
✖
Ken_Boak wrote:

See you Sunday then Ken.
Paul E. Bennett ....................<email:// snipped-for-privacy@amleth.demon.co.uk>
✖

Good to Meet you and Paul as well as Ken, who I had crossed swords with before.
I didn't notice much new but it was interesting to see Andrew Hall's driven stirling running as a heat pump or a refrigerator depending on direction of drive.
I thought the Meccano set with a glass piston in a graphite bore, needing no lubrication, should have won the prize for innovation but was probably let down by rudimentary engineering.
AJH
Add pictures here
✖
A wonderful day, interesting machinery and interesting people - what more could one ask. For just a moment, sitting outside on a bench watching the little diesel loco shunting visitors to and fro, all the sh1t usually floating about in my head about work, the state of the world etc etc disappeared, course I didn't really notice it had gone until normality was restored, but how I wish I knew how to produce that feeling on demand.
--
NHH

Add pictures here
✖
Nick H wrote:

Nick, Good to see you today - I took a few pics of things that caught my eye at www.tangye.org/gallery/album28 I confess to it not being strictly external combustion as the Rev. Stirling envisaged....But nevertheless an informative and interesting diversion from the usual chaos life throws at me!
I find the best stress relief in the world is to drag an engine out of the shed, fire it up and spend an hour with a contemplative beer or two just watching it.
Regards Dan
Add pictures here
✖
AJH wrote:

Yes, it was good to meet you too. It was also nice bumping into Ken for the first time since Machynlleth (we figured about 1987).

Bob Seirs machine was quite interesting.

Paul E. Bennett ....................<email:// snipped-for-privacy@amleth.demon.co.uk>
✖

the
CAT? Haven't been there since 1976 (I think) when a group, including my father, installed a waterwheel. I was only 15 but remember being most impressed with the place - ISTR reading somewhere that there is an element of theme park creeping in now though.
--

Nick H

Add pictures here
✖
Snapped up one of these at the rally
http://www.adthree.com/engine /
Great fun! I have been addicted to whirly cranks and levers etc for so long that it is odd to see an engine running without such encumbrances, though I suppose the cross shaped spring which flips the displacer up is a lever of sorts - bit like the diaphragm in a car clutch.
--

Nick H

Add pictures here
✖