2007 list

Snip the bit that explained why it wouldn't happen and what could well follow, why don't you!

Reply to
Jerry

Year's Day -

their

details, they

year's releases

Why not just release the info, it would still excite and would probably mean people talking about the models rather than the whys and wherefores of the information leak....

Reply to
Jerry

"simon" wrote

The RRP on the existing class 60 diesels is between GBP90.00 and 95.00 but look around and you'll see retailers dumping these from GBP59.99 to 65.00 which suggests:

a) prices are already too high and b) Hornby are over-producing.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Ruddy" wrote

In that case 'worst case fears are realised' - all analogue users (still the vast majority of railway modellers) will have to buy a decoder they don't want, whilst most serious DCC-ers will want to dump the decoder if it's not of sufficient quality.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Ruddy" wrote

More likely that the sales of both Stanier and Gresley coaches have no met sales expectations and as a result there is a realisation that the prices of both have been pitched too high.

Maybe if the quality and prototype fidelity had been better then both Gresleys and Staniers coaches might have justified their premium price levels?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

or:

c) There is not much interest in Class 60s

and yet Hornby have gone on to commit themselves to an all new Class 56!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote and yet Hornby have gone on to commit themselves to an all new Class 56!

(kim)

Whats wrong with that ? It's one of the few diesels that has been a main palyer around the country that has not been updated. Bar the motor, OK, it was still a fairly good model, despite it's age ! And with Heljan doing a Tubby Bone (58) next season, it will fit in very well !

Not everyone wants a kettle ! Don't be selfish !

And before anyone questions, yes, I would like a kettle, Super D or ex-NSR New L class !

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Jerry" wrote

Never stops Bachmann announcing 18 months before the model appears ! 6 weeks to get it in a magazine advert, tell your customers, Print your annual catalouge and that leaves .... er... Oh... 16 1/2 Months ! Fantastic. And they say the internet is fast !

Why does Hornby releasing what is new 2 weeks before Xmas make any difference ? All they need to do is send out the mail shot after Xmas / New year. With how quick some things can be updated with the aid of computers, I am surpised at some of these deadlines. Yes, I know a printer still only prints x pages per minute and the binding machine can bind so many and the delivery driver can still only travel at 60mph, but an advert can be made up much quicker than before we had DTP programmes...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"John Turner" wrote

Having said that I fail to see WHY there is a need for an embargo at all. What impact on Hornby's sale could it possibly have whether the informatyion was 'leaked' on 28th December or made officially available on that date?

John.

Exactly John. The new models will not be out, anyone else involved in distribution etc will still be on the Xmas holiday (Or stock taking in Bachmann's case) so not much can happen till 3rd Jan anyway ? And when will the first of any new 2007 models be out ? I would not expect before March ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Yes, but what if page content / layout has to be changed, and a week before printing probably means either missing that edition or making new plates!...

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote in news:4596f187$0$97242$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Or more importantly they have to shift a warehouse full of last years stock at a price that will still make them a profit. A profit that is required to develop not this years new stock but next years.

I used to do a lot of work for computer games companies and a NDA was considered to be sacrosanct.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

But, Hornby have yet to produce the Class 60 in the liveries they first came out in (namely, the pre-privatisation sectors...), I'd buy a couple of those.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Still awaiting some of the promised 2006 releases, all of which were expected for Christmas like 'Emily' from the Thomas range. I know several kids who were very disappointed when these didn't make it into their Christmas stockings.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's too old for contemporary layouts and too young for the nostalgia crowd. Also the ex-Mainline was never that bad so no justification for the cost of retooling.

You have confirmation from Heljan that they are producing a 58?

They could have produced a best-selling Class 37, 40 or 47 for the same investment.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The hump in sales comes after 40 years, not 30 years so it will be 2016 before there is any great demand.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

But there are still plenty of Lima examples knocking around so it will never sell in great numbers.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

So I could have added:-

c) poor choice of prototype

to my list then?

Actually I'm not so sure Kim. I think there is potentially plenty of demand for a class 60, but not in the GBP90-95.00 range. In my opinion it is 20% overpriced, which seems fairly standard with much of Hornby's products.

No doubt someone will quote the relative success of Hornby's shares on the Stock Market, but they've not yet hit on the realisation that there is a LOT of unsold Hornby products on UK retailers' shelves if my contacts are to be believed

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sorry, what is NDA?

Reply to
Rob

I think it was originally chosen to cause as much damage to Lima sales as possible? Ditto the Class 50. By the time it appeared of course the damage had already been done.

They could always put the old Lima back into production :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Rob" wrote in news:SJOdnTTEnpZXkgrYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Apologies for jargon ... "Non Disclosure Agreement"

Reply to
Chris Wilson