2007 list

And I think the point here is that if Hornby DO have some plans that they would like to coordinate then they are unlikely to tell distributors if previous requests for non disclosure until an agreed date have been ignored. Alright - none of the disclosed information is critical, and I know of a few companies who DELIBERATLY supply false information to the channel with a covering note 'may be subject to change' and attaching an NDA. Then post the real document on the day in question, so people who jump the gun and take orders before a supposed release have to apologise to customers that something is not going to be available ( and return funds taken under false advertising :) ) New technology has made a mess of traditional practice, but the common courtesy for following a suppliers requests should still be observed. Otherwise they do run the risk of being left out of other forward planning ;) Had the statement been something that could affect the stock market Hornby will have to be a little more careful in future WHO they tell in advance!

Reply to
Lester Caine

Yes

Banana shaped bodies and misplaced beadings ar not likely to help sales of what are otherwise very good models, and compared to kit building a no-brainer,

Alistair Wright '5522' Models

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Actually, it's arguable (albeit in a somewhat small way) that Hornby's new model announcements can affect the stock market for their shares, as any indication of what they intend to produce in the coming year could certainly influence those who 'play' the share game. If Hornby said they were to produce an expensive one-off model that was unlikely to sell in high numbers, then I'm sure there would be share holders who would question the financial wisdom in such a plan and maybe offload some of their shares, whereas if they said they were going to produce product that was more likely to sell (such as a new Thomas the Tank Engine model with moving eyes, 'real' steam and a voice :-) ) then they'd probably feel that it's worth investing in more shares.*

However, it has to be remembered that the model railway market, and the UK market in particular, is a small part of Hornby's business, so one or two 'one-offs' wouldn't drastically affect their stock market performance. Taking over other businesses has had more of an effect, and in general it's the build up of good or bad decisions that tend to get investors' interest (either positively or negatively) and for the moment it seems Hornby are playing that game fairly well.

So the release of the new models list is unlikely ever to come under the scrutiny of the financial watchdogs...

Ian J.

(* the childrens market is always seen as a 'safe bet' for investment as you will nearly always get some return on investment - Want to make a movie? Make it a child-friendly, family comedy within a 'reasonable' budget, and you're pretty much onto a winner).

Reply to
Ian J.

"kim" wrote> It's one of the few diesels that has been a main

Nope, but I would be happy to have one when it comes ! Soon! (If they don't make a hash of it)

Yes, your correct, they could have done, but they didn't ! They managed to make a tubby duff and someone else screwed up the 37 for them (Weren't Heljan going to produce a HO model a few years back that never got off the shed ?) and I can't comment on a 40 as this holds no interest for me as I don't ever remember seeing one where I live apart from at Butterly in preservation, and that was pretty boring !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

It would not produce the fuss that this leak has and all the resulting messages on this newsgroup.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

been

newsgroup.

whys

resulting

Yes, but most of the messages have been about the (NDA) leak and not the models, OK if Hornby just wanted people to talk about Hornby but bad if they wanted to get people talking about the future releases!

Reply to
Jerry

As far as I can tell it's just wishful thinking by a handful of modern image enthusiasts.

I mean't that HORNBY could have produced a best-selling 37, 40 and 47 at no more expense to them than for the 50, 56 and 60.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I said "contemporary" not modern image. These remain popular for about as long as the latest livery. "Modern image" is neither one thing nor the other being sandwiched between comporary and nostalgia and not selling as well as either.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Probably a fair bet. Much as my Dad would've loved to run two twelve coach trains of the new ones, it was much more cost-effective to pick up the old models at an average of seven pounds a time.

The graining mistake on the first run of the new teak-finish Gresleys probably didn't help either.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

A new model sells well for a year, two at the most. If Hornby retool the 56 today, it will be nine years old when the peak in demand comes in 2016.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

It's more like three months, then the market needs time to absorb those models still on retailers' shelves rather than further variations being released to further reduce demand for the early issues.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If they had, I might by now have many more than the single Gresley I bought and measured against Works data. I decided there was too much to throw away before I'd be happy with anything other than a broadside view. I can make do for that with the catalogue illustrations.

(This was a case of deja-vu - I had been mightily disapointed back in

1968 when I took my brand new Tri-ang Hornby 100t bogie tanker out of its box just as my train home from school passed a prototype example parked in Welwyn Garden City yard. Never bought another.)

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

What you really mean is "I want a class 37", fair doos, just don't dress it up as what the market wants.

Reply to
Jerry

"Francis Knight" wrote

I've got more than one Gresley, but not by many, and the only Stanier I've got is a solitary BG. I wanted rakes of the latter but was pissed off with poor manufacturing quality AND the need to replace virtually all of the corridor connections if I wanted close coupling.

Not an issue with cheap coaches, but at the prices Hornby want I'd sooner do without.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You rotter, I was going to ask that!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

And what does that mean?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in news:h6Tlh.43615$UC.13789 @newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

It means "We will confide our confidential information with you but only with your agreement that you will not disclose it to anyone else."

Reply to
Chris Wilson

But have Hornby ever released their ex-Mainline version in Rail Blue? I ask because I always fancied buying one in that colour, but they seem to have only ever released it in Railfreight/Transrail/LoadHaul colours.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

I have one in Revised Standard Blue...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

The RRP is just that, a recommendation. How many dealers actually charge the full RRP, unless models are a low-volume sideline?

Reply to
MartinS