A little OT, Jack Odell dies

Using the change in retail prices index as the benchmark then 1/9 in

1963 is 1.23 GBP in today's money, if you use the chnage in national average wage as the benchmark then it's 2.71 GBP. Either way they are now cheaper in real terms by the looks of it.
Reply to
airsmoothed

A friend was told he couldn't have a meter but as a single occupant he was entitled to a fixed discount of 25% off his bill instead. Please note you have to apply to have a meter fitted before you are offered the discount.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Where I live, it costs you considerably more not to have a meter.

Reply to
MartinS

My family a couple of miles from you have got more than enough free water at home :-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Arthur Figgis" wrote

No doubt complete with free samples of sewerage included? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

" Actually we never did! When Severn Trent took over Cheadle Water Company they surveryed every house telling us we would all have a meter. When they worked out they would have to dig the drive up and install 2 meters for our installation we never saw or heard from them again! "

Severn Trent's idea was to fit all of Cheadle with new pipework then meter everyone by radio read meters. The theory was to see if it were possible to get a 'leak free' system.

I understand it did not go as planned !

" A chap I met in Cheadle used to make the prototype models of the new JCB's for the factory in wood "

Don't tell Sir Anthony, or he'll start using wood on the real ones.... JCB ain't what they were since the old man died (ref: The Glass Door Fiasco).

" The Glass Door Fiasco " what was that about ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Jack Odell, in my opinion, typifies what the British are good at .... ideas. I just wonder if the latest band of 'whiz kids' can also have original ideas ....... from my experience I doubt it !

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Only about 26% of households in the UK have a meter but many others have what are called " Assessed charge bills " based on size and type of property.

Reply to
Dragon Heart