Any one had any experiance with DCC and old Triang TT loco's

Hi

Am thinking of converting a small TT layout mostly old Triang TT to DCC. I wonder if anyone has had any experience of doing this? Thanks

Reply to
Nick

I've not done DCC with TT, but I've done TT and also DCC (OO).

Personally, I would have thought that to convert Triang TT items to DCC would be VERY easy (apart from locating the decoder). The main problem with older models in any scale tends to be the live chassis feed connected directly to one of the motor brushes, but from my (rapidly fading) memory of Triang TT stuff, it should be fairly straightforward.

Items such as the T90/T95 (Jinty/shunter) chassis, would only require an insulating sleeve on the live motor brush (one brush is already sleeved to isolate it from the brush spring). This same mod would also apply to the T91 Castle (and Prairie T99?) chassis. The XT60 motor fitted to the Brit and MN would also require a second insulating sleeve). The A1A diesel would also be easy to isolate in a similar fashion, IIRC, the pickup strips bear against the brush/spring assembly. The DMU must be even easier, as that was a mainly plastic chassis.

HTH, Mick

Reply to
newbryford

newbryford said the following on 31/08/2006 00:01:

I might be wrong (I don't use DCC), but doesn't one of the ZTC decoders work with a live chassis feed to the motor? I just seem to remember seeing something like that somewhere, and it wasn't Zero1 I saw!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I don't either, but all it would take to insulate it from the chassis is a short length of insulation slipped onto the brush spring.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee