Bachmann 03

I haven't been keeping up with OO gauge much recently, but has Bachmann now
ceased producing the 03? I see that they have an 04, but can't seem to see
anybody who's selling the 03 (ebay excepted). When did they stop making it,
and why don't they do both?
Stu
Reply to
Stu
"Stu" wrote
The 03 tooling was modified to produce the 04.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Replica were the folks that sold the 03 last. I saw a green one going for £12.50 at the Edinburgh Model show at the weekend!
Alan
Reply to
Alan Rathbone
Replica were the folks that sold the 03 last. I saw a green one going for £12.50 at the Edinburgh Model show at the weekend!
The old 03 runs much better than the new 04!
Reply to
Mike
I could never understand why Bachmann dropped the 03 - they were around a good 30 years after the 04, and carried a wider variety of liveries (well, ok, 4 - green, blue, NSE, WAGN) than the 04 (didn't the earliest 04s appear in black?), as well as being geographically far more commonplace.
-- ***
*** Updated 13 October, now 574 images online. Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)
Reply to
Rich Mackin
"Alan Rathbone" wrote
I think you'll find that Bachmann produced a batch of 03s after those manufactured for Replica. The ones being sold by Replica over the last few years have been faulty ones, and effectively being sold as bodies only.
If you can find one of these, the Replica body is a directswap for the Bachmann variation. So you can have a Bachmann powered Replica 03!
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Mike" wrote
Yours might, but some of the Bachmann 04s have superb running characteristics. I wouldn't have one on my layout if it was as bad as the old Mainline / Replica model.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Rich Mackin" wrote
I understood it was because of customer demand.
John.
Reply to
John Turner