Bachmann and DCC Query

Having seen on certain web pages that when installing a DCC decoder into a Bachmann 37 the removal of the little orange capacitors aids running etc., I was wondering if any of the other Bachmann locos also have these capacitors and do they need removing too?

(I ask to save me removing bodies un-necessarily)

TIA Dave

Reply to
Dave Potter

All locos have capacitors across the motor for suppression of interference. They (and any other suppression components) should be removed when converting to DCC as they can appear as a low impedance to the decoder output. This leads to erratic running as some of the intended motor current is shunted through the capacitor and, worse, possible damage to the decoder through overloading it. The exact outcome depends upon the combination of the motor, the suppression components, and the decoder.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew