Bachmann Shed

Finally got mine today (and a fine looking beast it is too), the EWS
version, and so put it straight onto the layout for a bit of running in.
Now, I have a short section (two lengths) of second radius track on this
layout, and the leading bogie kept sliding off when going round the
curve.
When I say leading bogie, I mean that one which is at the same end as
the swing head coupler and the factory supplied plastic driver. The
other end has no problem whatsoever on the curves.
I haven't fitted any of the plastic bag of bits yet.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply to
James Christie
"James Christie" wrote
Yes, the dummy swing buckeye coupler fouls the Bachmann tension-lock coupling. Remove the former and your problem will disappear.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
In message , John Turner writes
Well, it's certainly not that, as the tension lock coupler isn't fitted. Any other ideas?
Reply to
James Christie
Have you tried reversing the curve to see if it say does the same on a left hand bend as well as the right hand bend?
May be a pickup wire is too tight?
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.
"James Christie" wrote
Apart from the fact that 2nd radius curves are probably far too tight for such a large and long wheelbase loco, the only other thing that might be worth checking is that both bogies are free to rotate about their axis.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
In message , John Turner writes
Thanks guys. It is peculiar though, that when the loco is turned round the other bog has no problem facing the same curve. Will do some 'exploration' in the morning. Still, just goes to prove a point that a Tractor or BRCW Type 2 is superior, they have no problems on my layout!....
:-)
Reply to
James Christie
Forgive me for asking, because everyone else seems to know, but what is a "shed" in this context??
Paul Boyd
Reply to
Paul Boyd
Class 66 diesel
PhilD
Reply to
PhilD
so called because of the way the roof comes to a point rather than being curved on other locos.
Reply to
Adrian
Is there a list of all the nicknames and their translations (and derivation) for those of us not "in the know"?
Andrew Crosland
Reply to
google
A google using "shed", "bone", "ped" and "whistler" (some of the ones I have heard of) brought up the following page:
I'm not sure why we need nicknames - especially multiple ones for the same class. Sometimes, the GEN groups are about as easy to understand as 1980s CB radio "lingo".
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
"Adrian" wrote
Misses the nickname used locally by Botanic Gardens drivers for the 03 shunter. Always known as *Sugar Puffs*.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
I give in. Why?
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
"Adrian" wrote
No idea.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
That's a big 10-4, good buddy.
Reply to
MartinS
I call them "Howlers" or "UFO's". Anyone who lives near a freight relief line can tell you why.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
For some reason, the couple of 66's that I've seen from the first batch appeared to have one bogie that wouldn't sit flat on the rails. The leading axle seemed to be a little in the air, when compared to the middle and trailing axles, and the other bogie. Later 66's seem better - 2nd batch of EWS, Freddie and GBRf versions. Try slackening the bogie pivot screw by half-a-turn to let the bogie find it's own level.
Whilst on the subject of batch variations, I've come across 3 versions of chassis/body fixing screws. (i) All four same length - long. (ii) Two, cut down by 1mm or so and two long. (iii) All four cut down!
Cheers, Mick
Reply to
Mick Bryan
Or Ying-yings or spin-dryers, according to the noise. I believe the "shed" name is also related to the corrugated sides of the bodywork.
And 60's are "tugs" because they'll pull anything.
Cheers, Mick
Reply to
Mick Bryan
I get the spin-dryer allegory but why "Ying-Ying"?
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Listen to one when idling. You'll hear what I mean. In much the same way that 24's and 25's were "buckets"...............!!
Cheers, Mick
Reply to
Mick Bryan