Before its too late ...

wrote: : >
<snipped>
I see the "Silly Season" has started early this year....

The quality of some of the more technical posts leaves a lot to be desired too, especially the electrics and DCC forums. Quite a bit of ill-informed rubbish.
MBQ
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:21:15 -0000, kim put finger to keyboard and typed:

There are plenty of other forums already running. A quick Google for "model railway forum" returns, in addition to RMWeb, all of these:
http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk http://www.modelrailforum.com http://yourmodelrailway.net http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums / http://www.modelrailways.co.uk/forum / http://www.modelrailway-uk.com/the-model-railway-forum-f22.html
I'm not sure whether to conclude from that that the market is so big that there's easily space for another, or that the market is already saturated. I'm inclined towards the latter opinion, given that a couple of other forums which I know used to exist seem to have closed down.
RMWeb's problems and strengths both stem from its sheer size. It has an order of magnitude more contributors than any of its stablemates. That has the advantage that, whatever you want to talk about, there will almost always be other people there who want to as well. It has the disadvantage that topics can get very large, very quickly and easily spawn multiple threads on the same topic which makes it hard to navigate. But, whether you like it or loathe it, the fact is that the reason it's by far the most successful forum is that it works the best for the majority of its contributors. It's also the only forum, as far as I know, that the manufacturers and media consider important enough to interact directly with. So, while it's easy to come up with ways in which you think it could be improved, it's hard to argue against the fact that most of its users are satisfied with it.
Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
: So, while it's easy to come up with ways in which you think it could : be improved, it's hard to argue against the fact that most of its users are : satisfied with it. :
Just as most people are also happy with fast food from the likes of McDonald's and Burger King, or the service from the big four supermarkets in the UK...
--
Regards, Jerry.

True, but they have to be careful and avoid believing customers are their right, remember what happened to IBM. McDonalds, are still top in terms of marketing and never take their customers for granted. So many people follow fashion like sheep, once a few of the more useful contributors get fed up enough to move away (and they will) then the rest will follow in droves.
Cheers, Simon
: > : > [re RMweb] : > : It's also the only forum, as far as I know, that the : > : manufacturers and media consider important enough to interact : > directly : > : with. : > : > Trouble is, that interaction causes direct open - warts and all - : > discussion about those manufactures to nipped in the bud by the : > mods (no doubt for fear that the above interaction will stop), : > thus complaints about a manufacturer or product are so often : > locked by a mod with a curse comment about taking it up directly : > by email. : > : > : So, while it's easy to come up with ways in which you think it : > could : > : be improved, it's hard to argue against the fact that most of : > its users are : > : satisfied with it. : > : : > : > Just as most people are also happy with fast food from the likes : > of McDonald's and Burger King, or the service from the big four : > supermarkets in the UK... : : True, but they have to be careful and avoid believing customers are their : right, remember what happened to IBM. McDonalds, are still top in terms of : marketing and never take their customers for granted.
Indeed, but just imagine what service would be like if the food in supermarkets or McDonalds was free, paid for (and profits made for the retailer) by either the producers or the in-store advertising - that is the scenario that the 'customer' is faced with at RMWeb!
So many people follow : fashion like sheep, once a few of the more useful contributors get fed up : enough to move away (and they will) then the rest will follow in droves. :
Yes, if a few of the big names (both writers and manufactures) move on so will others, as indeed has happened with this on Usenet over the years few years - never know, perhaps URMR and other Usenet groups will have a revival. :~)
--
Regards, Jerry.

Definitely the latter. To much bandwagon jumping. There are also various magazine led forums, or used to be, I don't have any time for them.
MBQ

I don't know why no-one has made an LTSR 4-4-2 tank and some varnished teak coaches.

Whereas they are nice looking lttle locos they were part of an almost secret railway. Some were to be found on the LTE lines but did any find their way elsewhere bearing in mind their"flat country" design?
They could also produce a very similar 0_4_4 T (LMS 1900 etc) which in my youth did the Bristol St Phillips to Bath Green Park shuttles. As a 9 y.o. I found them more appealing than the new 1200 class tank engines. It would not be a bad idea to modernise the Deeley/Johnson 2P & 4P (compound) models which still fetch a very good price.

Whereas they are nice looking lttle locos they were part of an almost secret railway. Some were to be found on the LTE lines but did any find their way elsewhere bearing in mind their"flat country" design?
They could also produce a very similar 0_4_4 T (LMS 1900 etc) which in my youth did the Bristol St Phillips to Bath Green Park shuttles. As a 9 y.o. I found them more appealing than the new 1200 class tank engines. It would not be a bad idea to modernise the Deeley/Johnson 2P & 4P (compound) models which still fetch a very good price. ================================================Was thinking the same abouot the 4F till saw real one and realised just how simple an outline they had. About the only significant change they could make is one of those fancy backheads. Are they not Fowler 2P and 4P (slightly modified versions from previous CME's) ? What would be nice is to add a Johnson tender to those and the 4F, but may need to be right hand drive then ? Of course as John would say it might be nice if they had a proper Fowler tender :-) IIRC Bachmanns 3F will have a Johnson tender, what about an enterprising retailer buying 500 4F's and 500 Johnson tenders and package them together - under the name of Hornbann perhaps ?
Cheers, Simon

I think the LTS service pretty much ran them into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A73DeWQ7CR0
starts with some interesting stuff.

The last Tilbury 4-4-2T was the reason I gave up collecting numbers as a boy.
I made a special trip to see it, but the following year it had been withdrawn but wasn't in the ABC.
At which point I realised I was more interested in seeing interesting engines than copping the numbers.