Begging the groups indulgence

In message , snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no writes

Hah! I'll have to get the old digital camera out and take a few snaps for you, then.

Reply to
John Sullivan

That'd be good, this isn't really intended to be 'my' website, it is simply a website to which I am making a contribution, any and al contributions welcome, the object of the exercise is to help people get more out of the hobby.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the replies to the group and the e-mails

I will try and get the the bulk of the thing up in rough form as quickly as possible, then tidy it up as time alows

Points arising:

This work is not up to the standard required for publication as a book. If you read it you will see it has many holes in it, for example LMS and LNER whistle signs are not described. The drawings are sketches intended to help the Godson with his layout. They are not to scale and may well contain minor inaccuracies, acceptable for their intended purpose but not if someone is going to pay good money for it.

It does not replace the books produced by the likes of Wild Swan, they are properly researched with no gaps in the information, have drawings to scale and are liberally illustrated with photographs.

The present format is just a rough draft, I am using a program called Star Writer, part of the Star Office suite, to assemble the thing as this produces half way decent HTML (unlike Word for example), however this will require a lot of cleaning up before I would call it finished. I don't use Dreamweaver as it is not designed for this kind of work, it is used to bash out web pages quickly and tends to produce a lot of redundant code.

I need to dig out a lot of photographs and scan them in and some of the sketches are too rough for inclusion without further work. For the moment then it is crudely assembled and there are spaces where some of the pictures will go. Some of the pictures may well change, the only photo I have of a banner repeater signal was taken from a train as it is not possible to get a good photo from the trackside. If I can tidy it up enough it will go in, if not I'll leave it with just the sketch.

The intention is to put all this together as a proper web site with the cross references made into hyperlinks but that can only be done once the thing is close to being finished.

If anyone wishes to add amend or correct any part of the work I would appreciate it if they could confirm how they would like to be credited so that I can include the credit in the text.

I am currently taking time out to be a carer for a friend with rather complex needs (having been run down by a lorry) so doing additional research is not really practical and I can only really work in the late evenings. Hence this job is going to be a slow process, I will however try and get the rough version up and running as quickly as possible.

Again any comments or corrections would be welcome, this work was originally done to help me build my own layout and I'd appreciate any additional material people might have to offer.

Reply to
Mike

Mike, re signals info, if you can send me your real email address I can get comments back to you. Send to me at Regards Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

In message , John Sullivan writes

OK, Here we go, taken about half an hour ago.

Both are 1280 x 1024, the first is 283 KB, the second is 193 KB.

If you're going to use either of them I would assume you are going to reduce their size, etc.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Thanks for these John, do you want 53a models mentioned in the credit? (unless you say otherwise that's what I'll put)

Thanks for taking the trouble

Reply to
Mike

In message , snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no writes

No, because I'm John Sullivan, and 53a Models is John Turner.

No problem.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Looks very good indeed. One point though... on the Signals page, and colour light signals in particular, the sequence is Red, (then, in rear of that) Single Yellow, (then, in rear of that) Double Yellow, (and finally, in rear of that) Green.

Reply to
Dave Potter

"Dave Potter" wrote

And don't forget flashing green on high speed lines, or flashing yellow on the approach to a junction. This is not a simple subject.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You can say that again! On the plus side as its intended to help beginners I don't have to cover everything (mor can always be added later)

Mike

Reply to
Mike