BR crimson & cream, aka blood & custard (again) !

There is an exception to generalisation. When BR(WR) re-introduced chocolate and cream livery for selected named trains in 1957, most of the stock painted in this livery was BR Mk1. However one or two GWR coaches, mainly restaurant cars, also received this livery. In addition there were one or two repainted GWR slip coaches. When slipping ceased a year or two later, the slip coaches were relegated to secondary services. I have some video featuring one of these chocolate and cream slip coaches in about

1960 (?) on a Llandovery-Llanelly stopper, hauled by a 8750 class pannier in black livery. The other coaches in this set were in maroon.

I also have photos of the Pembroke Coast Express between Whitland and Carmarthen with the usual Mk1 chocolate and cream set topped by three maroon Gresleys coaches and hauled by a 81xx prairie. A batch of LNER coaches was regularly used to strengthen WR internal services on Summer Saturdays in 1961/2 after the cull of older GWR stock.

David

David

Reply to
gwr4090

I was looking through one of the photo-albums of Westerns the other day, and was surprised how much pre-Nationalisation stock survived, even on 'front-line' work, into the 1960s Things like Birkenhead- Paddington expresses with Thompson stock, Paddington-Plymouth with Hawkesworth and Collett stock didn't seem to be that unusual until about 1965. There were later shots of mixed blue and grey and maroon stock on inter-regional workings, with some of the blue and grey stock being Stanier. One of the oddest things, though, was a chocolate and cream Mark 1, sitting on B4 bogies, the photo havingbeen takien in 1964/5 The comment about the Central Wales line train interested me- I have recollections of one of my great-aunts arriving from Shrewsbury at Llanelli, with the train being hauled by something that resembled the Hornby-Dublo

2-6-4t. How were these trains handled at Llanelli? I remember there being an east-facing Up bay, but not any sort of run-round facility. Did they use to continue towards Carmarthen, or set back into the Down loop on the other side of the level crossing on New Dock Road? Brian
Reply to
BH Williams

Thanks for the feedback guys, seems that (almost) anything goes for that period in time. Looks like its time to get some marron MK1's then and maybe re-sell some of the choc-cream MK1's on e-bay !

Cheers

Malc

Reply to
Malcolm

There's a fascinating site about railways in many countries as of 1935 at

- click on Cross-Country Routes.

At that time, the Newcastle-Bournemouth express was worked on alternate days by full rakes of Southern and LNER stock. And it was possible to travel 800 miles from Aberdeen to Penzance in the summer without changing carriages - a single GWR carriage was attached to several different trains in the course of its ~21 hour journey. Great Western in Aberdeen!

The barber's I used to visit as a kid was right beside the former Midland line across from Bingley station. The whole place shook when the Thames- Clyde Express went through.

Reply to
MartinS

Like Skegness and Mablethorpe?

Reply to