Controversial - Rubbish Web Sites

In which case the AOL install bloat-ware must totally break Internet explorer !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Wouldn't that render them liable to an investigation from the EU's free trade people?

Reply to
John Sullivan

I would not describe "Flash" as 'progress'.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

"Bruce Fletcher" wrote

Neither would I, but it'a amazing how many people insist in sticking with old technology and moan about those who want to see the real advances that the likes of ADSL offer.

I accept however that some people in remote areas are stuck with dial-up, at least in the short term, but they should be pushing their ISPs for faster connections.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's un-necessary. A waste of bandwidth and machine cycles.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"John Turner" wrote Funny isn't it that those who choose to use industry non-standard browsers expect everyone to accommodate them?

Not a criticism of Firefox or anything else, but I'd never contemplate any browser which wasn't universally useable.

John. This may be the case, but its a darn sight better then OE. It loads quicker for one thing ! Mate of mine was trying to load a web page, which he knew had been updated. 3 attempts later (after it didn't refresh) he loaded Firefox, which loaded and the update worked first time. With this still on his screen, he tried once more with OE, but guess what, it still showed the old version. As you can imagine, OE became a background programme and Firefox is the main web browser.... Funny as the only site so far that I can't use it on (surprise surprise) is Micro$oft Windoz update!

From a friend, I believe Firefox is a development of the Mac web browser, so how do Mac users go on. Does it mean they are limited to what they can look at? (Yes, I know they wouldn't need to look at the Micro$oft web site!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Depends on what you want to see on the web. My 3 year old is adept at using a computer thanks to the CBeebies website which relies totally on Flash for all the interactive games and puzzles. And there's more than a couple of websites dedicated to animation which would be as dull as dishwater without Flash.

I would agree that there's not much point in using it 'just because', but when used as a proper tool it can allow a website to do things like nothing else can.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Assuming that they could have ADSL (or similar) even if they want it, although BT have all but removed the distance rule regarding ADSL there are still other factors that can prevent people getting it (such as the use of local fibre-optic distribution lines etc.). Also don't forget that the web is meant to be the World-Wide-Web and that there are many places in the world were ADSL etc, is still nothing but a pipe dream....

It's nothing to do with the ISP's, it's dependent (in the main) on the BT network.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

But it's very good on those stubborn stains on kitchen floors...... Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

On 05/01/2005 23:17, kim wrote,

WHAT????? You should be able to do all that anyway. I t sounds like AOL's stuff is really screwing up your computer.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 06/01/2005 16:38, Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept. wrote,

Uh-oh - another one. Repeat after me... Outlook Express is not a web browser. Outlook Express is not a web browser.

I'm not surprised your mate had problems loading a web page with OE. Incidentally, if you know a web page has been updated, but your browser (Firefox or IE) still shows the old one, then that is because the old page is still in your cache. You need to force it to refresh by holding the Ctrl key down whilst hitting the Refresh button. In your case, Firefox will have loaded the web page for the first time, so of course it found the correct version because it had nothing else cached. This is basic use of any web browser, whether it is IE or Firefox. Making OE a background program because you weren't using IE correctly isn't the fault of IE. (Gosh - I was almost standing up for IE there!)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 06/01/2005 07:34, John Sullivan wrote,

Now there's an idea worth looking into :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

The current MAC bundled browser is Safari. MS used to produce a MAC version of IE. Don't know if they still do now that OSX is based on FreeBSD. Firefox is based on Mozilla. Mozilla is on opensource project born out of Netscape. Netscape was a Windows browser primarily. I'm unaware if there was a MAC version. There certainly was a *nix version.

Reply to
tiM

Err, no it's not, MAC is to do with networking etc. !

I think you mean Mac....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote concerning Firefox

I've used IE & OE for well in excess of 5 years and have never felt the need to change.

To blame Microsoft for all of the ills of computing is totally unreasonable, and many of the supposed security failings with both are because arsewipes choose to exploit them.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Only assuming you're in the UK!

I don't pretend to know the ins & outs of the the alternatives, but radio &/or wireless high speed connections are being bandied around locally - and at less than the cost of my Kingston Communications (nothing to do with BT) ADSL connection.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

New comer then?

Exactly.

I've used IE and OE since I can't remember when. About the time Amiga computers went out of business. Early PII days? I've used both with no real problems, and will keep on using them for the foreseeable future.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

John, I disagree, surely if the failings were not there, then they couldn't be exploited. It would be like putting a table up with all your stock on it, and then leave it in the middle of a street with a 'help yourself' notice, then coming back and expecting everything to be still there. MS ought to havebeen hung out to dry over the anti trust issues, namely, bundling thier browser with the OS, thus destroying the competition, but were able to buy the best defense money can buy... Its a testimony to the quality of browsers such as FF and Opera that they can compete with the bundled IE browser at all. The EU have just decided another anti trust issue against MS, that of bundling WMP attempting to destroy another competitor. Real.

That said, MS have done a very good job at making the personal computer accessible to the masses, and do not deserve all the bad press / attacks that they suffer. Without MS, we'd all be trying to access the Net on Amigas, Sinclairs, BBCBs, and other assorted Mainframe boxes, if it even existed.

Just my 2p

Reply to
tiM

"tiM" wrote

Sorry I don't follow your logic. We have cars and alcohol, and arse wipes exploit that fact too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Paul Boyd" wrote Uh-oh - another one. Repeat after me... Outlook Express is not a web browser. Outlook Express is not a web browser.

DoH Doh Doh!

I know, Its IE (Internert Explorer)