Controversial - Rubbish Web Sites

unreasonable,

But who allowed the security failings in the first place ? It's one of those chicken or egg questions !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes, and we have car makers building cars that can travel far in excess of the legal limit, just because they can - and know we have gone back to building roads with humps and bumps in them to try and slow the self same vehicles down. Allow an arse wipe to do something and they will, prevention is better than cure, surely ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well, I guess the cars failing is that it can be driven by arsewipes fueled with alcohol. ;o)

Reply to
tiM

Well, actually I mean Apple Mac ;o)

MAC is Machine Access Control, and it is the hardcoded physical address of the network card. (Although you can programatically amend it).

Reply to
tiM

It might be worth giving them a try. Having tried the alternatives, I can't see why anyone uses IE, other than "because it is there" on the desktop, needless technophobia and/or because they don't know there are alternatives.

The net existed well before Windows PCs! Now we will get posts from all the people who are currently using steam-powered analytical engines to read the group...

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Arthur Figgis" wrote

I use it because it works satisfactorily for me and I have more important things to do that experimenting with browsers and email clients. If you discuss browsers with a dozen pc geeks, there's a fair chance that they would suggest twelve different options, each which have peculiar advantages.

I've actually experimented more with the email side of things and also with newsreaders, but in the end always come back to OE because of its basic simplicity. I much prefer it to Outlook.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

":::Jerry::::" wrote

A failing isn't a failing until someone exploits it. If every piece of software was tested until it was totally faultless and totally free of potential security failings then I suspect NONE would ever be released.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Fair enough. I suppose it is a bit like drinking Stella because one knows what it is, rather than real ale which might be different and comes in various forms.

But seriously, it is worth spending ten minutes playing with Mozilla or Opera when you are bored sometime. Non-IE browers are spread well beyond of the realm of the geeks.

Does anyone (not called "Gates") like Outlook?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Put it this way, metaphorically, MS has in the past (and still does in some cases) walk around with wads of used bank notes hanging out of every pocket whilst there competitors make sure that their bank notes are not only in the pocket but also in a wallet - who is the more likely to be pick-pocketed ?

It's not about *potential* security failings, MS have in the past had problems with *basic* security failings, due to trying to make computers accessible to those with an IQ level into minus figures.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

AOL uses a modified version of Internet Explorer as its own browser. There is no visual similarity between the two. Until recently it was possible to run Outlook Express in piggy-back fashion on AOL but only if you had an account with another ISP such as Freeserve. I used to be able to read and reply to my e-mail at Freeserve that way without running up additional BT charges. It was not possible to read or post Usenet messages as AOL's newsserver is not compatible with NNTP. Now that Outlook Express can be configured to handle AOL's own mail, it is also possible to configure it to work with a third party newsserver.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I was about to try your suggestion myself but since configuring Outlook Express (not IE) to work with AOL I have not had to as AOL is now displaying the correct updated web pages itself. I can only deduce that reconfiguring OE has fixed a problem that was previously present in AOL's browser?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I can assure you it's vastly superior to the newsreader supplied by AOL !

(kim)

Reply to
kim

":::Jerry::::" wrote

That sounds very much like jealousy to me.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Says it all about AOL, doesn't it. :~(

Now that Outlook Express can be

But browser, email, IRC, NNTP programs etc have nothing to do with connecting to an ISP, you can be connected and have non of the above running, you can most of the above running and not be connected to a ISP. Sounds like AOL had to change or be dragged through the courts for trying to lock people into there own service - many people have said that the only / quickest way (in the past) to un-install an AOL 'infested' machine was to re-format and re-install the OS from scratch....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That is impossible, Outlook isn't a newsreader (not even a broken one)....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In news:crjrn5$6ck$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk, Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept. blithered:

Could this possibly be due to OE NOT being a browser? OE is basically an email client. Possibly if your friend had tried 'refresh' in IE rather than just thumping the return key, he may have had better results. Sounds like it was presenting the locally cached old version.

Reply to
GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Arthur Figgis blithered:

Outlook, because it is part of the Occife group of pogroms does have some useful features like inline spell checking and correction. But for me its major limitation is it doesn't natively manage 'news' which it offloads to Outhouse Distress.

Reply to
GbH

ActiveX? Er... no. From Mozilla/Firefox pages -

-------- "Mozilla does not support ActiveX controls natively."

-------- "Can I use ActiveX controls?

Yes, however, this is not advised.

There is an ActiveX plugin available for Mozilla. However, installing it can cause many problems, including crashes and conflicts with installed plugins. It is generally recommended that you do not install this plugin, unless you are specifically instructed to do so or are using it to solve a specific problem (and configuring it accordingly). If you install it and have problems, the only support you will usually get is "Uninstall the ActiveX plugin". You have been warned."

--------

The lack of ActiveX 'compliance' in Firefox is not the cause of the problem with the Howes site however. Still, look on the bright side, not being able to view that site does spare your eyeballs from being seared by the garish red background. :)

-- Regards, Chris Luck

Reply to
Chris Luck

I used to use AOL as my dial-up, but still used IE to browse the web, and OE for email and news (email account at geocities, usenet via some open server who's name escapes me at present).

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Historically, it hasn't so much been the fact that Microsoft products had bugs, all software has bugs, it's been more to do with acceptance that the bugs exist, and demonstrating a willingness to do something about it.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn