D600 Warship class

As far as I know this class

was never produced in model form unlike the more familar D800 Warships. If I wanted to build a model D600 in OO gauge using another type as a basis, what would be a good class to start from? The D800 looks very different so would not make a good starting point.

John

Reply to
John Rampling

Silver Fox do a resin body to fit a 47 chassis

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

On 16/10/2005 17:44, John Rampling wrote,

I reckon your best starting point would be the kit from DC Kits - have a look at

Should save you a lot of trouble :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Worsley Works do a D600 (often but incorrectly termed class 41)

Have a look here -

although this is the 2mm offering, they can etch to order in any scale - drop them a line. I have just completed the body for D602 in N and I must say the quality of the etches is superb and way beyond some stuff I have had in brass,

Reply to
unclewobbly

On 16/10/2005 19:17, snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote,

The photo certainly looks nice a nice model. I have had a number of "kits" from Worsley Works in 4mm scale, and the etches are very good. You do have to be prepared for a wait though for anything special. I'm still waiting for an item to be redrawn from (wow - I've just checked!) May 2004. Maybe it's time for a chase!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Unlucky Paul... I ordered mt 22 & 41 and got them the same week - very happy with both...

unclewobbly

Why is it incorrectly termed a class 41 ? Although these locos were never physically renumbered with TOPS numbers, like all the hydraulics, these locos did have class numbers pre-allocated (22, 35, 41, 42, 43, 52) to them in preparation for the introduction of TOPS in the early 70's. Like the 41, the 22's, 42's and

43's were well on the way out before TOPS was introduced. So what's incorrect ?

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

There is contemporary documentary evidence for BR use of all those class numbers you list above, *except for* 41. Whilst it would appear logical that 41 had been reserved for the NBL A1A Warships, the class was withdrawn en masse (Dec 67) long before the first publication of the TOPS numbers (Sept 68 IIRC). The other hydraulic classes lingered on for many years, and their class numbers appeared in many official documents and publications, although they were never renumbered. However, informal use of the term class 41 goes back a long way, I remember that when the prototype HST appeared as class 41 in 1972 my friends and I assumed the class number was being recycled from the early Warships.

Further speculation would have it that E2001 (withdrawn 1968) was Class

80 but again I believe this does not appear in any official documents.

Similarly the AM1/301 AC EMU classification does not seem to have been used although common conjecture is that it was allocated to the Lancaster/Morecambe/Heysham sets, which also were withdrawn quite early on.

On the other hand, other oddities such as classes 14,16,21,28,70 and 77 were in the published lists although the locos hardly lasted much longer, most of them disappearing before the end of 1968.

Cheers,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Harding

In this thinking, you can include the SR Co-Co electric locomotives which are often termed Class 70 - made up of 3 members, one of which looked markedly different from the other 2- these 2 had BIL type cab fronts where as the other had a flat SUB like cab.

Reply to
unclewobbly

HAL or mid-era SUB type, surely, not BIL? The BIL's had prominent lipped roof surrounds over the cab front, the HAL's were flush, as were the Co-Co electric locos. The SUB's had all three versions of cab fronts. IIRC and all that!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

yep that's the ones, angular welded front but flush

Reply to
unclewobbly

Depending on how much work you want to do (and whether the making is as important to you as the having afterwards), then you might want to start with a Hornby class 21/29 body. You would need to fit this to a suitable Co (well strictly A1A) bogied underframe.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

Just to follow up on this - and sorry to labour the point, but if anyone is interested, I have pretty much finished my Worsley Works Kit. I modified it from the "as supplied" spec by going for the face-lift version with split headcode boxes, but I think it demonstrates that the kit gives a good rendition of the class.

Still got some odds & ends to do but take a look and see what you think. Remember this kit is available in just about any scale you model - you just have to ask.

unclewobbly

Genisis do a kit for the D600 in '00' Base model ok but needs obligatory work doing on it and I think Silver Fox did a resin version in ready to run or build and paint yourself. Steve

Reply to
Stephen Kell