DCC and the geriatric modeller.

Can only tell you about the Select and the Elite (which am really happy with), but if anyone waas to give you a recommendation then they need to know what you plan to do and how much you wish to spend.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In article , simon writes

Good question, Simon. Just starting again after a 20-odd year gap, will not be a particularly large layout (space and poor mobility are against me) but money is not a big issue. Like quality, intrigued by possibilities of sound.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Like you I am new to DCC (I am a retired control engineer) and found all the blurbs and reports to be a bit ott oe dismissive.

I was able to get a new Select at a reasonable price and found it to be usable but rather like the early CNC controls which were all steps with low visual interfacing.

It also taught me that bad track, dirty wheels etc will lead to problems which in DC would have just produced a small spark.

I took delivery of an Elite two days ago. Apart from having a handbook in all European Languages except English , I am very pleased with it. I downloaded the H/B and away we went.

In between getting the first and second units I bought and chipped a non DCC class 56 including the lights. That was another landmark when that went off without a problem.

The Elite still reacts to the mini shorts but does not revert to default like the Elite -- it has proved (unlike myself) to be quite tolerant.

There is one aspect which is unusual -- this is the lack of a physical zero for the speed control. The device relies on visual interfacing to ensure that zero speed is selected.

So far I would be happy to recommend both units as the price is lower than all the others available but the facilities are all there!

Reply to
Sailor

David,

I would recommend the NCE Power Cab as a starter. I actually started with a Dynamis but didn't like the method of operating the speed control - flicking a small lever up and down. The Power Cab has a rotating potentiometer to control the speed and it is easier to hold in one hand compared with the Dynamis. I've also got one of the small additional controllers to give me the facility to control two locos at the same time, and the system is able to be expanded to provide even more facilities.

Choosing a DCC system is more down to what suits you than anything else. It's worth going to a retailer who has got several systems on demo and try them out to see what suits you. My first Dynamis did what it said on the tin and I still keep it to act as a second system, but the Power Cab wins out for operating ease for me, and also for decoder programming. Other systems also have their plus and minus points.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In message , JimGuthrie@?.?.invalid writes

DCC has been used by those modelling American outline for longer than UK outline. There are several systems available that offer all sorts of 'whistles and bells' (literally). I'd suggest you try to visit one or two NMRA clubs. The members there (most of them) will be only too pleased to show their system and even let you have a play with it.

If you'd like to let me know where you live I can probably put you in touch with a suitable club.

BTW if anyone is thinking of buying a Lenz system NMRA members get 20% off so it could pay to become a member.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

[...]

cheers, Simon

Reply to