DMU Models

I'm looking at the Class 110 DMU's, but the only ones I can find are the Hornby ones, and the motor is highly visible in the window.

Is this the norm for DMU models, or should I be looking at other manufacturers. Bachmann don't seem to do a class 110.

If this is the norm, is there something I can do to "hide" the motor ?

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Ian Cornish"

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Reply to
R Spanton

"R Spanton" wrote

Lima didn't do a class 110 which is what the OP was asking about. They did both 101 & 117 dmus.

The Lima motor & wheels are greatly inferior to the latest Hornby drive. I've got rid of all Lima powered stock from my layout because of indifferent running, and yet I retain a 110 dmu because it works so well. I stress I'm talking about the latest drive system (the Chinese built ones) and not the poor quality UK version churned out by Margate.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The motor bogie is where the guard's/luggage compartment is. One possibility (easier than using a new motor) is to paint the insides of the windows black or dark "dirt". If memory serves correctly, it was quite difficult to see in these windows on the real thing, so you wouldn't be missing anything.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

Reply to
R Spanton

Black out the windows.

Reply to
MartinS

Personally I would wait for Bachmann's Class 108. There isn't that big a difference between one first generation DMU and another. As long as it's green with cat's whiskers I'm happy.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Personally I don't think you know what you're talking about if you can't see any differences between a Derby unit (108) and a BRCW (110) unit,..

It possible that someone in passing could mistake a Derby and a Metro-Camel (101) but never a BRCW 110 - for one thing the front windows are completely different !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I didn't say there was no difference, I said that the differences were not that great. I wasted eight years examining library sources to determine precisely which DMU classes ran locally and eventually came to the conclusion that almost all of them did at one time or another. So all that's really needed is a 'generic' 1st generation model. The average observer is not going to notice the difference.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

We'll have to agree to disagree then, it's like saying that a GWR Castle looks like a LMS black 5, well both are 4-6-0's and they both have a tapered boiler !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

for those that are interested, I bought the hornby class 110. Very nice little runner... all I need now is to finish building my station platforms :-(

now, how do i get the thing to pieces so I can paint the windows? Can't see any screws anywhere (even with my glasses on:-))

Reply to
Ian Cornish

If there was pictorial evidence that a Castle - or something very much like it - was a regular visitor to my local station and it was the only RTR model with a tapered boiler and decent running characteristics, I would choose it over the Black 5.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That's because there aren't any screws, the body clips onto the underframe. The clips are actually extensions of the glazing and so are clear plastic, look for square recesses (about 3mm square) underneath with clear plastic visible in them. IIRC should be 3 each side. Push the clear plastic toward the middle of the car with a small screwdriver they should unclip releasing the body. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Metro-Camel

Oops ! That was meant to be "....mistake a Derby and a Pressed Steel (117) but never a BRCW 110....."

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well I don't think that BRCW 110's ever got to Coventry either, or do you have pictorial evidence that they did ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The average observer probably also wouldn't notice minor dimensional discrepancies, detail differences and so on. (I personally cannot see much "out" with Bachmann's 37 or 55, being an average observer). That doesn't stop there being huge debates about the relative merits of the new model over previous ones. If you [1] want it right, then you have to do it right. On the other hand, if like me you run a 77 and a 91 under the same wires [2], and are happy with Hornby and Lima 37s because they're cheap and you can tell what they're *supposed* to be, then fine.

[1] plural "you" [2] er, wires? Better put them up some time

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

I don't know for certain because various authors tend to caption photos with their own particular name for a DMU rather than the Class number. The original Derby Lightweight definitely visited Coventry in 1955 so there is a good chance the Class 108 did too.

(kim)

Reply to
kim