Eileen's Emporium

I am trying to contact Roger Sawyer of Eileen's Emporium. Last contact I had was nearly 12 months ago. I have sent e-mails to his last known address, snipped-for-privacy@eileens-emporium.freeserve.co.uk, but have received no reply. Is he still trading?

Thanks in advance.

Ian Millard Australia

Reply to
Ian Millard

Ian,

He was very much alive and well and trading at Railwells during last weekend.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

indeed, and for me, stocking up at Eileens was the best bit of an otherwise disappointing show.

hats off to everyone though, for keeping going in that kind of blistering heat. i bet they were glad to pack up and get out of the place..

mutley

Reply to
mutley

that's one of the reasons i love this hobby... one mans disappointment is another mans joy. :)

i felt that there were just too many country termini to fiddle yard type layouts with very little happening on them. The standard of modelling was very high, but when there's a little 'un in tow (and a grandad) i need there to be more 'show' in the show. Normally when people complain that when they go to shows nothing's moving i think they're having a larf, because all the shows i go too are quite action packed... but not this one.. each layout seemed like a repeat of the previous one.... train pulls into station, engine runs round train, train leaves station.... repeat ten minutes later..

Zob, the first layout through the door is amazing, i've seen it several times now and it still leaves me with my jaw on the floor. The workmanship is beyond anything i'll ever achieve and the attention to detail is outstanding although easily missed because it's so hard to take the eyes off the trackwork.

Mostyn was great, but then it's banger blue diesels so it's my fav period anyway, it can't fail. Other layouts that caught my attention were Saffron Street and St Denys, the latter in particular standing out because it's different, third rail modern image in N gauge.

Everything else was up, then back again, one train every half hour. All very nice if you like that kind of thing, but definitely not my cup of tea unless there's a new angle to it.

As i said the modelling was excellent (the station building on Lee on the Solent springs to mind) but for four quid, i expected a lot more layouts with things actually moving on them. I expect entertainment alongside my eye candy.

Hopefully. Went last year and -thoroughly- enjoyed it. Would recommend it to anyone. I'm going to try to combine it with a visit to JR Models and stock up on some Japanese goodies.... can't wait...

It's an interesting building and reminded me of when the Bristol exhibition was held in the Victoria Rooms. lots of side rooms and exploring to be done.

mutley

Reply to
mutley

The problem Chris Challis has is that the Wells Town Hall has a lot of smallish rooms and housing large, action packed layouts is a bit difficult. One big layout in the upper hall - like Mostyn this year

- is about the best that can normally be managed, and the other layouts have to be on the small side to fit into all the nooks and crannies, along with the trade stands, etc. So you're going to get a lot of the small terminii, and that's the way Wells has been for years.

It's always been a modellers' exhibition - basically a ScaleFour meet with other scales included. It has tended to be a talking shop and that is its attraction in my opinion.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Ta,