Exhibitions, do you like them

I as some people already know like going to exhibitions, are there any people would recomend or avoid My recomendations are Warley at the NEC Hartlepool Newcastle Chatham Shoeburyness Tonbridge Wadebridge in Cornwall Falkirk in Scotland my local ones... Halifax, Shipley, Normanton and Pontifract, And Leeds. My now to avoid ones are Southport, Manchester ( its a ok show but too in your face ) and Prseton, Wakefield isnt that good any more niether has anyone got any good show recomendations ???

misc

Reply to
Misc

another one i realy liked was Ilford and west essex show, it was busy but plesant and people would chat for ages, traders and layout operaters

misc

Reply to
Misc

Risex in Aylesbury is usually good. Good trade support and a nice modern location (Guttman sports centre near Stoke Mandeville Hospital), but if you go year-on-year you tend to get the same old layouts popping up. One problem is you cannot (or couldn't in previous years) use plastic to pay for entry, despite the fact that the venue (and thus their tills) accept it for normal use. So take enough cash or a cheque book.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What do you mean by too "in your face"? I think Manchester is one of the better shows, although the location isn't entirely ideal.

My two favourites, though, are definitely Stafford and Wigan, both of which have excellent quality layouts in good venues at a reasonable price. The only downside is that neither is particularly accessible by public transport (unlike Manchester and Warley, which are best reached by rail).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Reply to
Misc

Whats up with York?

Reply to
Trev

Reply to
Misc

Its in Yorkshire

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I now usually go only to Wigan each year. Warley is good, but a bit too much like hard work for my ageing feet & back. York is also good, but can be a bit tiring, too. Gave up on Manchester some years ago - don't know if it has changed since, but I always thought there were far too many traders and not enough layouts.

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price

North yorkshie unlike Halifax, (cleckhudersfax) Shipley Normanton and Leeds which are in west Yorkshire ROFL

Reply to
Trev

The latter is what I though of Warley. My health stops me going to exhibitions like I used to but Manchester after the change. Blackburn York, In the old days a weeks MB touring around Wales then down to Bristol was always on the list) now its Shipley and York only

Reply to
Trev

Never ask a man if he is from Yorkshire. If he is he will surely tell you. If he's not, why embarrass him?

Reply to
manatbandq

"Exhibitions, do you like them"

No - I don't like people taking all their clothes off in public.......

Reply to
far-lands

"Exhibitions, do you like them"

No - it's all taken far too seriously by the majority and as a consequence rather dull. I only go to Stafford, if I remember, to see what the traders have to offer.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

LOL

Reply to
Trev

So would you prefer it to be taken frivolously? :-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

I have to agree.

So many exhibitors seem so far to "up themselves" to be true.

Any sense of fun is truly absent.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Absolutely! A hobby's supposed to be a bit of fun (for all values of fun), serious is for when you get a VAT inspection ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Me and the Tot have only been to a few nearby ones :- Gresley Nottingham, Mickleover, Derby. Loughborough (Barrow on Soar group) Burton On Trent (demu and none demu)

We've always had great fun.

Nottingham and Derby had good set of traders that sell stuff I dont normally encounter (Comet, GEM, 247, etc). But at each show his nibs found one or more layouts that would let him direct things or even control them. They could be serious exhibitions ones (00 and O guage) or more playful with LGB. Most important was the operators were ready for a laugh and/or a chat with him and it seemed they got more fun/pleasure out of the interaction than when just running things for themselves.

I've always found some locos or scenery of interest. Sometimes have chatted to owners or operators but not always.

Think it may be partly the more you put in then the more you get out. Having the tot helps - can loan him out if it helps :-)

Cheers, Simon

and always had a great time.

Reply to
simon

Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow, probably the friendliest and most varied exhibition you will find in the UK and open for three days, 20th to 22nd February, so only a few short weeks away now.

Don't believe me? Then read what BRM magazine have to say about it in their guide with the February 2009 edition.

Go on, make the trip. You know you want to.

And look out for Hewisbridge, Drem and Bardowie, three of the best which will be there.

Archie

Reply to
Manxcat