Exhibitions, do you like them

I as some people already know like going to exhibitions, are there any people would recomend or avoid My recomendations are
Warley at the NEC Hartlepool Newcastle Chatham Shoeburyness Tonbridge Wadebridge in Cornwall Falkirk in Scotland my local ones... Halifax, Shipley, Normanton and Pontifract, And Leeds. My now to avoid ones are Southport, Manchester ( its a ok show but too in your face ) and Prseton, Wakefield isnt that good any more niether has anyone got any good show recomendations ???
misc
another one i realy liked was Ilford and west essex show, it was busy but plesant and people would chat for ages, traders and layout operaters
misc

In

Whats up with York?
--
Trev
Nobody is perfect.
I have not been to York exhibition for years, It clashes with the Factory close down so I am usualy busy with my holidays. misk "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote in message

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:37:26 -0000, "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:>>

Its in Yorkshire
G.Harman
In

North yorkshie unlike Halifax, (cleckhudersfax) Shipley Normanton and Leeds which are in west Yorkshire ROFL
--
Trev
Nobody is perfect.

I could be pedantic and say it's not in Yorkshire, but in the County of York.
John.

As far as I'm aware there is currently no official "County of York".
York is an ancient borough. It was never part of the former West, North and East Ridings. In 1835 it became a municipal borough, and in 1889 a county borough (independent of any county council). In 1974 under government reform it became a non-metropolitan district in the County of North Yorkshire, then in 1996 it regained unitary status as The City of York, with some expansion of its former boundary.
York is the county town of the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, under the Lord Lietenant of North Yorkshire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yorkshire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_county
--
Martin S.

"MartinS" wrote

Now I thought the county town of North Yorkshire was Northallerton.
John.

The *ceremonial* county, not the administrative county.
--
Martin S.

"MartinS" wrote

Mmm, that's a new one on my, but I bow to your knowledge.
John.

No need to bow to me, see Wiki.
--
Martin S.

Ooh, careful. I'd be failing in my duties as a Wikipedia sysop if I didn't point out to you that the so-called "traditional counties" mob have set up shop there long since, and anything you read about English counties should be treated as if it were an editorial in the Daily Mail written by a member of the "Association of British Counties" (oh yes, that exists).
Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

The ceremonial county of North Yorkshire (defined below) is not the same thing as the "traditional" North Riding of Yorkshire.
"York, Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland are unitary authority boroughs which form part of the ceremonial county for various functions such as the Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire, but do not come under county council control. Uniquely for a district in England, Stockton-on- Tees is split between North Yorkshire and County Durham for this purpose. Middlesbrough, Stockton-on-Tees, and Redcar and Cleveland boroughs form part of the North East England region."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yorkshire
"The ceremonial counties are areas of England that are appointed a Lord Lieutenant, and are defined by the government as the Counties for the purposes of the Lieutenancies Act 1997 with reference to the metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties of England and Lieutenancies Act 1997. They are often used in a geographic reference frame, and in this capacity are sometimes called geographic counties."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_county
--
Martin S.

Risex in Aylesbury is usually good. Good trade support and a nice modern location (Guttman sports centre near Stoke Mandeville Hospital), but if you go year-on-year you tend to get the same old layouts popping up. One problem is you cannot (or couldn't in previous years) use plastic to pay for entry, despite the fact that the venue (and thus their tills) accept it for normal use. So take enough cash or a cheque book.
MBQ
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:30:32 -0000, Misc put finger to keyboard and typed:

What do you mean by too "in your face"? I think Manchester is one of the better shows, although the location isn't entirely ideal.
My two favourites, though, are definitely Stafford and Wigan, both of which have excellent quality layouts in good venues at a reasonable price. The only downside is that neither is particularly accessible by public transport (unlike Manchester and Warley, which are best reached by rail).
Mark
--
A Miscellany Of Good Stuff:
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

I now usually go only to Wigan each year. Warley is good, but a bit too much like hard work for my ageing feet & back. York is also good, but can be a bit tiring, too. Gave up on Manchester some years ago - don't know if it has changed since, but I always thought there were far too many traders and not enough layouts.
Bevan
In

The latter is what I though of Warley. My health stops me going to exhibitions like I used to but Manchester after the change. Blackburn York, In the old days a weeks MB touring around Wales then down to Bristol was always on the list) now its Shipley and York only
--
Trev
Nobody is perfect.
On Jan 12, 7:58 pm, "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

Never ask a man if he is from Yorkshire. If he is he will surely tell you. If he's not, why embarrass him?