FA: Model Making Books

I don't see any difference. Even in a traditional auction house the starting bid, reserve and estimate are all (can be) different figures. The auctioneer will set a lower starting bid if he gets no bites at the first one. Very often bidding will then run away and exceed the reserve.

It's all down to the psychology of getting people to bid and then bid more (than they intended if possible).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That's exactly how auctions work! The only thing missing on Ebay is the estimate. A printed auction catalogue will have a range of upper and lower estimates of what the item will achieve. This is public and anyone contemplating bidding should have a good idea anyway. The reserve will be (should be) lower than the lowest estimate and reamains private. The starting bid is merely a teaser to get things going.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

.

PS I notice you evaded the question. Speaks volumes about *your* mentality.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

: : I take it you don't buy or sell on eBay? You don't sell because all : sellers are criminals, and you don't buy because all sellers are : criminals. Therefore you can't really understand the workings of eBay.

What total bollocks...

Reply to
Jerry

I don't see any difference. Even in a traditional auction house the starting bid, reserve and estimate are all (can be) different figures. The auctioneer will set a lower starting bid if he gets no bites at the first one. Very often bidding will then run away and exceed the reserve.

It's all down to the psychology of getting people to bid and then bid more (than they intended if possible).

MBQ

=============================== This is why am not a great fan of ebay, too many people seem pleased that theyve screwed money out of someone else.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

What is? You said that ebay sellers are criminals - you called it crimebay, remember?

Can I ask how old you are? I would guess early to mid teens judging by your childish responses to mine and other posts. I mean, "stop talking about yourself"? That's junior school stuff!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Are you trying to imply that the items I sell are the proceeds of crime?

MBQ

=============================================== Just Trolling

Reply to
LDosser

Used to be the relist was free if there were no bids the first time. Has this changed?

Reply to
LDosser

: :: MBQ : : Just Trolling :

Yes, that is what MBQ was doing, there is no way that any normal thinking person could have drawn the conclusion MBQ did.

Reply to
Jerry

What you said, care to prove that no stolen gear has ever been (or is currently being) traded via (crim)eBay...

: : Can I ask how old you are?

Old enough to know when and were 'scams' take place, with age comes experience, of course it's also possible for adults like you Paul to go through your entire life with your own head stuck so far up your own arse, thus never actually picking up on the clues...

Reply to
Jerry

So why do you keep referring to it as (crim)Ebay if you think theer are no links to crime?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You making the implication, it's up to you to prove it.

Whilst you're at it, can you prove that no stolen gear has ever been (or is currently being) traded via small ads in any number of publications

No, though not.

Got your fingers burned on Ebay did you?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

A lot of things have changed, mostly for the worse, but it's still a useful marketplace.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

So why do you keep referring to it as (crim)Ebay if you think theer are no links to crime?

MBQ

======================================= It doesnt have to be linked to crime though. Theres the common expression where something is described as criminal be it a practice, service or the selling of an item whose description may be confusing but apparently within bounds.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

:> Yes, that is what MBQ was doing, there is no way that :> any normal thinking person could have drawn the conclusion MBQ did.

: So why do you keep referring to it as (crim)Ebay if you : think theer are no links to crime?

But that is not what you said (how you replied) is it...

When the police say that there is speeding on the UK highways do you also immediately take it as personal criticism of your own driving or do you just take it as the *generic* fact that it is?!

As I've said before MBQ, you don't seem to be the brightest spark around. :~(

Reply to
Jerry

: No, though not.

No, that is your problem, you never do think. :~(

Hint, there has been court cases involving criminals getting court *because* they have tried flogging their ill-got-and-gains via eBay or using eBay to commit fraud!

Just for starters:

Jerry

I think he's a senior citizen, or close to being one, who's had a lifetime of not being recognised for the genius he is. And the web is the only place where he feels safe enough to exhibit his rage.

I used to pity people like him, until i realised they're old enough to get help whenever they decide to do so.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

wrote

I usually start an auction with the minimum price I'm prepared to sell at. I don't really see the point in starting at a lower price and setting a reserve.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So I was correct, you can't.

But why do you single out Ebay in particular? Why not balance your posts and admit that such problems apply equally to virtually any second hand sales channel? What happened in your past to give you such a downer on Ebay?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

To be honest, I can't remember exactly how it worked, but I think it used to be that the relist was free only if it sold the second time so I had to decide if it was worth two listing fees if it didn't sell. I could be wrong though, and whatever it was has probably changed anyway by now.

I think eBay's new CEO has shares in Amazon because he's doing his best to alienate both buyers and sellers on eBay. Wonder if he understands the business model :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd