FA: Trix Rolling Stock, Track, Controller, Transformer, Luggage (!)

stokesay

Isn't ONE posting enough?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

One posting is more than enough.

:::Jerry::::

One posting is fine.

The ebay page to which you refer says:-

" eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may among other remedies remove the listing, issue a warning, or suspend the user's eBay account."

Where is the problem with that?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

As seems normal with Google using eBay idiots, the OP posted his message twice, presumably because the message didn't show up immediately on the Google archive.

There are nine uk.adverts.* groups to place eBay type adverts in, that is what's wrong.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Several ISPs are currently doubling postings. Dunno why.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

That's irrelevant, this news group allows reasonable and moderate advertising of relevant items, which this is, so its perfectly OK Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Spamming the use of eBay is not advertising the private sale of model railways items, ebay is a COMMERCIAL company.

If you want to read eBay adverts then open a web browser and enter

:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Commercial adevertising is not prohibited on here, check out the FAQ.

Having said that it does irk when people who rarely if ever make any contribution to the Group use it exclusively to advertise their eBay sales.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And in any case it is not ebay promoting ebay but stokesay promoting his Trix trains, ebay is incidental. At 10 sales in a year he doesn't look like a commercial company. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Yes, eBay take a percentage of the sale price AIUI, hence the commercial aspect, and then you get people who don't even subscribe to the group using Google groups search engine to place their adverts in likely sounding groups....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well he should put his items up on HIS web page and then link to his eBay auction from there, he IS advertising the use of eBay and as eBay is commercial any advert for a service from eBay is not allowed.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Its not an ad for ebay, its an ad for an auction on ebay. Seems reasonable to me; as I was one of the originators of this group's charter it is just what we had in mind. We just did not anticipate the use of ebay.

Paul Stevenson

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

So it's an ad for a eBay service, otherwise the URL would go to the OP *own* web site.

Seems reasonable

Which is what eBay and their disciples are taking advantage of, I doubt many of the people who post single line eBay adverts to newsgroups ever read the groups - ever noticed how many come via google groups....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Your argument is about as reasonable as banning discussion of modification to comercial products on this group. On the grounds that it encourages companies to make models and sell them!

You have no proof for this assertion. The ads on here that irritate are the ones for models based on non UK and Ireland prototypes.

Paul Stevenson

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

So what, its irrelevant whether or not the poster reads the group, so long as the item offered for sale is of potential interest to readers, which this one is. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Not when it's a commercial advert, which advertising the use of eBay is, if the link was to the OP's own web page then that would be OK.

All you eBay loving people, go and RFD your own group as suggested - uk.adverts.ebay

It wouldn't be so bad if the subject line had [eBay ADVERT] in it, then the spam could be filtered....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The uk.rec.models.rail charter says: "Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), ..." so even if the use of ebay made it commercial (a premise with which I disagree) it would still be permitted.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

eBay is nothing to do with the model trade, it's an auction site.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::