Forth Bridge

Has anyone ever made an OO scale model of the Forth Bridge?

I was going to attempt one to run my Virgin Voyager over until I realised how long it would have to be!

Can anyone suggest other UK bridges which are easier to model but still very distinctive?

Reply to
EverettPet

Hungerford Bridge has been modelled before now - a model of Charing cross is not impossible, you would just need a very long thing site!

Reply to
John Ruddy

In message , EverettPet writes

There was certainly a model being constructed several years ago, but whether or not it was ever completed, I don't know. Materials used seemed to be mainly grey plastic kitchen waste pipe and gutter down pipes, which give an idea of scale! Bits of the model used to appear at exhibitions in and around Colchester, probably twenty years ago now. I never did see more than fractions of the total at any one time.

Indeed :-)

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

I know its not much help but I have seen one made from photos and constructed from matchsticks. It was an awesome sight and in OO scale was very long Rick

Reply to
Richard Spanton

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com, EverettPet blithered:

Saltash?

Reply to
GbH

In news:ta_Ac.77$bS5.46@newsfe3-gui, GbH blithered:

But doubt a Voyager is appropriate!

Reply to
GbH

Ideally I'm looking for somewhere in the North West/Wales because that's where most of my rolling stock is suited. Other sites I've been considering are:

Britannia Bridge (Anglesey) - No Voyagers yet and train would be obscured by pillars

King Edward VII Bridge (Newcastle) - 4 tracks wide and should be electrified

Barmouth Bridge - No Voyagers (now or probably ever!) and model would still be

10m long!

Keep the comments and suggestions coming though - really appreciate them!

Reply to
EverettPet

Runcorn bridge - used to have Voyagers until Bowker stopped them Roodee Viaduct, Chester - expected to be enduring Voyagers from September.

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price

Connel Ferry bridge a few miles north of Oban. It used to carry the Ballachulish branch line as well as a road. It still survives as a road bridge. Quite a futuristic structure, and in some ways similar to the Forth bridge, but a fair bit smaller :-)

It's also got a parallel centre section which could be lengthened or shortened, to a certain extent, to suit your situation.

Apparently, it is the second largest cantilever bridge in the world.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

After the aforementioned Forth Bridge, I assume.

Reply to
MartinS

But of course :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

The Conway bridge in North wales is rather nice, complete with a small station under the castle walls. Seen one Voyager, seen them all:)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Knaresborough - mediaeval style, station at one end, but no Voyagers.

Reply to
MartinS

I saw one a few years ago in Harburn Hobbies hanging up in side the shop.i think it was 00.

Ian Gearing

Reply to
Herman613B

I think it was still there when I was last in.............about a month ago......

There was a price sticker on it, though I can't remember how much...

.......could be woth ringing them.

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Brunel's bridge over the Thames at Maidenhead, although I don't believe it carries Voyagers.

Reply to
David Cantrell

couldn't be, because there's one across the St.Laurence that may not be bigger than the Forth Bridge but is longer.

David

Reply to
David Chorley

Following up almost immediately: The Quebec Bridge across the St. _Lawrence_ was completed in 1917 and is longer than the Forth Bridge.

David...oops

Reply to
David Chorley

The main span of the Quebec Bridge is 1800 feet, while the TWO main spans of the Forth Rail Bridge are each 1710 feet. The total length of the Forth Bridge, including approach spans, is about 1.5 miles, while the Québec Bridge is a little over half a mile.

Reply to
MartinS

The length would be very long as I have recently been to scotland and=20 the bridge dwarfed a train I seen crossing (Sprinter scotrail).

Why not have a look at some of the railway bridges on the West Coast of=20 Scotland or Highlands, there is a good variety of architeture and=20 designs both modern and old.

A friend modelling a section of west coast scenery recently obtained=20 drawings and plans after writing to Scotrail in Glasgow, who kindly=20 provided him with a set of blue prints of a bridge nr Inverness.

Just some thoughts on this one.

Regards Emma

EverettPet wrote:

--=20

********************************************************************** This email and any files / attachments transmitted with it are private=20 and confidential intended solely for the use of the individual or entity =

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error=20 please return it to the address it came from advising the sender that=20 the message was received in error, you should not copy, distribute or=20 show the content to anyone and immediately delete the message from your=20 system, Unauthorised use or disclosure of the content may be unlawful.=20 Any content that is not pertinent to the official business of the=20 organisation is personal to the author.

This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiad iddo yn gyfrinachol ac fe'i bwriedir=20 ar gyfer y sawl a enwir arno yn unig. Gall gynnwys gwybodaeth=20 freintiedig. Os yw wedi eich cyrraedd trwy gamgymeriad ni ellwch ei=20 gopio, ei ddosbarthu na'i ddangos i unrhyw un arall a dylech gysylltu=20 =E2'r anfonwr ar unwaith. Mae unrhyw gynnwys nad yw'n ymwneud =E2 busnes swyddogol y corff sy'n=20 anfon yr e-bost yn bersonol i'r awdur.

Emma