Forth Bridge

Has anyone ever made an OO scale model of the Forth Bridge?
I was going to attempt one to run my Virgin Voyager over until I realised how
long it would have to be!
Can anyone suggest other UK bridges which are easier to model but still very distinctive?
On 19 Jun 2004 14:46:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (EverettPet) wrote:

Hungerford Bridge has been modelled before now - a model of Charing cross is not impossible, you would just need a very long thing site!

There was certainly a model being constructed several years ago, but whether or not it was ever completed, I don't know. Materials used seemed to be mainly grey plastic kitchen waste pipe and gutter down pipes, which give an idea of scale! Bits of the model used to appear at exhibitions in and around Colchester, probably twenty years ago now. I never did see more than fractions of the total at any one time.

Indeed :-)
--
Graeme Eldred

I know its not much help but I have seen one made from photos and constructed from matchsticks. It was an awesome sight and in OO scale was very long Rick

how
very
I saw one a few years ago in Harburn Hobbies hanging up in side the shop.i think it was 00.
Ian Gearing
I think it was still there when I was last in.............about a month ago......
There was a price sticker on it, though I can't remember how much...
.......could be woth ringing them.

Very much doubt if anyone has a model of either HO/OO or N gauge.
The bridge and approach viaducts are
South Approach Viaduct 10 Spans of 168 ft. & 4 Approach Arches Queensferry Cantilever 680ft. 9ins. Queensferry Tower 145ft. Queensferry Cantilever 681ft. 9ins. Queensferry Connecting Girder 346ft. 6ins. Inchgarvie Cantilever 681ft. 9 ins. Inchgarvie Tower 260ft. Inchgarvie Cantilever 681ft. 9ins. Inchgarvie Connecting Girder 346ft. 6ins. Fife Cantilever 681ft. 9ins. Fife Tower 145ft. Fife Cantilever 689ft. 9ins. South Approach Viaduct 5 Spans of 168 ft. & 3 Approach Arches
The height of the Bridge is 361ft. above the general high water datum line in 1890. However the height from the lowest foundation is 450ft. Rail level is at 158 ft. giving 150ft. clearance for shipping.
The structure comprises of (from South to North) a total of 8296 ft. :
Work that out at 1:148 or whatever else you like. Mighty BIG
Remember even an HST looks like a gnat on a cows arse when crossing The Bridge.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:00:07 +0100, Yoda wrote:

Brian Irwin of Border Railway Soc. is building a model slightly sub N-gauge which will carry N gauge models. He has had to reduce the scale to fit the available space and the transverse X-tubes at the piers have had to be slightly altered to clear the trains, but you would never know if he hadn't admitted it. Been building it for nearly two years - mad:)
Ken.

general high water datum line

level
That is amazing. I must see it if it ever goes on show. A full size N Guage would be 56 ft long and 1.3 inches wide by 2.4 ft tall.
A very long, not so tall very skinny structure.
Check out my website http://brianseamens.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FORTH/index.htm
A very interesting and imformative site - I enjoyed reading it.
In blithered:

Saltash?
--
If Your specification is vague or imprecise, you'll likely get what you
asked for not what you want

But doubt a Voyager is appropriate!
--
If Your specification is vague or imprecise, you'll likely get what you
asked for not what you want
Ideally I'm looking for somewhere in the North West/Wales because that's where most of my rolling stock is suited. Other sites I've been considering are:
Britannia Bridge (Anglesey) - No Voyagers yet and train would be obscured by pillars
King Edward VII Bridge (Newcastle) - 4 tracks wide and should be electrified
Barmouth Bridge - No Voyagers (now or probably ever!) and model would still be 10m long!
Keep the comments and suggestions coming though - really appreciate them!

Runcorn bridge - used to have Voyagers until Bowker stopped them Roodee Viaduct, Chester - expected to be enduring Voyagers from September.
Bevan
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:16:58 +0000, EverettPet wrote:

The Conway bridge in North wales is rather nice, complete with a small station under the castle walls. Seen one Voyager, seen them all:)
Ken.

Knaresborough - mediaeval style, station at one end, but no Voyagers.
--
Martin S.

On 19 Jun 2004 14:46:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (EverettPet) wrote:

Connel Ferry bridge a few miles north of Oban. It used to carry the Ballachulish branch line as well as a road. It still survives as a road bridge. Quite a futuristic structure, and in some ways similar to the Forth bridge, but a fair bit smaller :-)
It's also got a parallel centre section which could be lengthened or shortened, to a certain extent, to suit your situation.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/connel/connel /
Apparently, it is the second largest cantilever bridge in the world.
Jim.

After the aforementioned Forth Bridge, I assume.
--
Martin S.

But of course :-)
Jim.

couldn't be, because there's one across the St.Laurence that may not be bigger than the Forth Bridge but is longer.
David