Forth Bridge

That's awfullly generous of Scotrail!

I'll have to try that.

Reply to
EverettPet

Dave,

I'm not going to argue - I was only quoting from one of the web sites I looked at when trying to find a good photo of Connel Ferry bridge for my original message :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Very much doubt if anyone has a model of either HO/OO or N gauge.

The bridge and approach viaducts are

South Approach Viaduct 10 Spans of 168 ft. & 4 Approach Arches Queensferry Cantilever 680ft. 9ins. Queensferry Tower 145ft. Queensferry Cantilever 681ft. 9ins. Queensferry Connecting Girder 346ft. 6ins. Inchgarvie Cantilever 681ft. 9 ins. Inchgarvie Tower 260ft. Inchgarvie Cantilever 681ft. 9ins. Inchgarvie Connecting Girder 346ft. 6ins. Fife Cantilever 681ft. 9ins. Fife Tower 145ft. Fife Cantilever 689ft. 9ins. South Approach Viaduct 5 Spans of 168 ft. & 3 Approach Arches

The height of the Bridge is 361ft. above the general high water datum line in 1890. However the height from the lowest foundation is 450ft. Rail level is at 158 ft. giving 150ft. clearance for shipping.

The structure comprises of (from South to North) a total of 8296 ft. :

Work that out at 1:148 or whatever else you like. Mighty BIG

Remember even an HST looks like a gnat on a cows arse when crossing The Bridge.

Reply to
Yoda

Exactly how does a Train Operating Company have plans of structures that must be the domain of Network Rail

Interested.

Reply to
Yoda

Brian Irwin of Border Railway Soc. is building a model slightly sub N-gauge which will carry N gauge models. He has had to reduce the scale to fit the available space and the transverse X-tubes at the piers have had to be slightly altered to clear the trains, but you would never know if he hadn't admitted it. Been building it for nearly two years - mad:)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

general high water datum line

That is amazing. I must see it if it ever goes on show. A full size N Guage would be 56 ft long and 1.3 inches wide by 2.4 ft tall.

A very long, not so tall very skinny structure.

Check out my website

Yoda

A very interesting and imformative site - I enjoyed reading it.

Reply to
Dave Potter

In message , EverettPet writes

During the late Sixties and Seventies there used to be a cafe called the "Golden Griddle" in Hanover Street, Edinburgh. It was a long, narrow property. Mounted along the length of the left hand wall above the tables they had a huge "00" model of the Forth Bridge in half-relief, ie: only one side of the bridge was modelled.

The deck was furnished with a single track of Tri-ang Super 4, along which a Tri-ang "Transcontinental" double-ended diesel locomotive (!) plied back and forward, courtesy of automatic reversing switches at either end.

As a child, I used to visit this cafe every Wednesday with my mother and two great-aunts, and the sight of this enormous model with its constantly running "train" provided me with endless fascination.

The cafe was taken over / refurbished sometime in the Eighties, IIRC, and the model of the Forth Bridge was removed. I wonder what happened to it..?

Reply to
Simon W. Hood

I am only quoting some advice that friend was able to get the=20 information via Scotrail, I really have no idea as I don't work for=20 Scotrail.

Emma

Yoda wrote:

--=20

********************************************************************** This email and any files / attachments transmitted with it are private=20 and confidential intended solely for the use of the individual or entity =

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error=20 please return it to the address it came from advising the sender that=20 the message was received in error, you should not copy, distribute or=20 show the content to anyone and immediately delete the message from your=20 system, Unauthorised use or disclosure of the content may be unlawful.=20 Any content that is not pertinent to the official business of the=20 organisation is personal to the author.

This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiad iddo yn gyfrinachol ac fe'i bwriedir=20 ar gyfer y sawl a enwir arno yn unig. Gall gynnwys gwybodaeth=20 freintiedig. Os yw wedi eich cyrraedd trwy gamgymeriad ni ellwch ei=20 gopio, ei ddosbarthu na'i ddangos i unrhyw un arall a dylech gysylltu=20 =E2'r anfonwr ar unwaith. Mae unrhyw gynnwys nad yw'n ymwneud =E2 busnes swyddogol y corff sy'n=20 anfon yr e-bost yn bersonol i'r awdur.

Emma

It does. There are occasional (couple per day) Virgin services through, between Reading and Kensington Olympia (and thence to Gatwick). You'd need lots of HSTs, 180s and 165/166s, though!

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD