Forth Bridge

On 20 Jun 2004 14:13:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David Chorley) wrote:
Dave,

I'm not going to argue - I was only quoting from one of the web sites I looked at when trying to find a good photo of Connel Ferry bridge for my original message :-)
Jim.

Following up almost immediately: The Quebec Bridge across the St. _Lawrence_ was completed in 1917 and is longer than the Forth Bridge.
David...oops
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David Chorley) wrote:

The main span of the Quebec Bridge is 1800 feet, while the TWO main spans of the Forth Rail Bridge are each 1710 feet. The total length of the Forth Bridge, including approach spans, is about 1.5 miles, while the Qubec Bridge is a little over half a mile.
--
Martin S.

On 19 Jun 2004 14:46:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (EverettPet) said:

Brunel's bridge over the Thames at Maidenhead, although I don't believe it carries Voyagers.

It does. There are occasional (couple per day) Virgin services through, between Reading and Kensington Olympia (and thence to Gatwick). You'd need lots of HSTs, 180s and 165/166s, though!
PhilD
-- <><
The length would be very long as I have recently been to scotland and the bridge dwarfed a train I seen crossing (Sprinter scotrail).
Why not have a look at some of the railway bridges on the West Coast of Scotland or Highlands, there is a good variety of architeture and designs both modern and old.
A friend modelling a section of west coast scenery recently obtained drawings and plans after writing to Scotrail in Glasgow, who kindly provided him with a set of blue prints of a bridge nr Inverness.
Just some thoughts on this one.
Regards Emma
EverettPet wrote:

--
********************************************************************** This email and any files / attachments transmitted with it are private and confidential intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please return it to the address it came from advising the sender that the message was received in error, you should not copy, distribute or show the content to anyone and immediately delete the message from your system, Unauthorised use or disclosure of the content may be unlawful. Any content that is not pertinent to the official business of the organisation is personal to the author.
This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

I am only quoting some advice that friend was able to get the information via Scotrail, I really have no idea as I don't work for Scotrail.
Emma
Yoda wrote:

--
[...]

During the late Sixties and Seventies there used to be a cafe called the "Golden Griddle" in Hanover Street, Edinburgh. It was a long, narrow property. Mounted along the length of the left hand wall above the tables they had a huge "00" model of the Forth Bridge in half-relief, ie: only one side of the bridge was modelled.
The deck was furnished with a single track of Tri-ang Super 4, along which a Tri-ang "Transcontinental" double-ended diesel locomotive (!) plied back and forward, courtesy of automatic reversing switches at either end.
As a child, I used to visit this cafe every Wednesday with my mother and two great-aunts, and the sight of this enormous model with its constantly running "train" provided me with endless fascination.
The cafe was taken over / refurbished sometime in the Eighties, IIRC, and the model of the Forth Bridge was removed. I wonder what happened to it..?
--
Simon W. Hood