Future of steam R-T-R market

Does that include the recent two car 158 in that god awful Transpennine with first vinyls livery? I've been requesting a two-car 158 in Transpennine livery from Bachmann regularily for three years and when they finally released one they decided on the vinyl covered one!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

Yup, sold loads of them and the WYPTE (Northern operated) version in red & silver too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hattons

I just said that the era was interesting and that modelling it would be interesting, the trouble is (I suspect) that those who remember it prefer to model the early (green) diesel era when steam was still common if not King, those who can't remember the era probably only know post TOPS - It is, after all, only about a six or seven year period, I can understand why it's a 'minority interest', bit like the pre grouping period!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

It's a era which although interesting in retrospect was widely ignored by enthusiasts after the demise of steam in 1968. So many enthusiasts I knew simply put their notebooks and cameras away and lost interest when steam finished, as indeed did I to some extent. It was really the impending demise of the 'Deltics' in the early 1980s which got my enthusiasm going again, so the 1970s was a big black-hole to many enthusiasts.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think it is time to give the kettles a rest and let us have some 'juice' trains (EMU) as Bachmann have some with the CEP units. Steve

Reply to
titans

Oh, so it's an "emporium" now! "Shop" not good enough for you, eh? ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

If it's good enough for Aunty Wainwright then 'emporium' is good enough for me! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you are modelling your business style on that of Aunty Wainwright there is no way I'm setting one foot on your door-step let alone inside the shop - go in for some track pins and come out with a ready built layout!..

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Her what used to be Hilda Ogden, with flying ducks on her muriel?

Reply to
MartinS

":::Jerry::::" wrote

She's an amateur mate, I'd sell you the ready built layout AND all the stock to fill it! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"MartinS" wrote

Hilda Ogden?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Gee Martin, kids today know nothing about "history".

Hilda, her "muriel" and the flying ducks are famous.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Exactly. And she only left on Christmas Day, 1987.

Reply to
MartinS

Does that include the recent two car 158 in that god awful Transpennine with first vinyls livery? I've been requesting a two-car 158 in Transpennine livery from Bachmann regularily for three years and when they finally released one they decided on the vinyl covered one! Fred X

Might become even more popular out of area. My mate told me yesterday that he'd passed an exodus of ex TPX units heading west (to Exeter depot).

Looks like 158862-5 have been reallocated to Exeter. Dunno what livery they are in though. Will they be vinyled in the FGW style I wonder ?

Contemporary models of the southwest scene will be flocking for Bachmanns latest offering.

I'd be happy with an all blue class 108 DMU !!!

Phil

Reply to
Waldviertler

Me too. And the Hornby all blue 101.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

If God had wanted 101s to be blue, He wouldn't have painted them green.

Reply to
MartinS

The Metro-camels were not that bad in all over Rail Blue, it was all the various liveries that followed that really looked hideous.

Anyway, never mind the colour, what about the Buffet intermediate car...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

What's wrong with this livery?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You mean that DMU attempting to look like a bus?!

Sorry but those contrived liveries just don't work IMO. An all over single colour, such as Rail Blue, works - even though it might look plain - whilst most of the original liveries picked up on body styling but most of the later 'sector' (for the use of a better word) don't take on that body styling at all, just the chosen corporate livery of the sector IYSWIM.

Is there a release date for the Hornby 101 BTW, also I assume this will be a re worked Lima model?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I agree with your comments 100%

Reply to