Future of steam R-T-R market

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Yes, but I think that it works quite well, but maybe only because it has a single base colour.

I also like them in BR blue/grey and Regional Railways.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What's wrong with BR green?

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Nuthin, but I they rather spoilt it by removing the front end chevrons and replacing them with yellow panels.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What's with the TV antenna?

Yes, I know, it's probably a radio antenna but why so big, we had radios on trains in North America since the late 1960s and our antennas are way smaller than that.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I think you'll find that's one designed to work in tunnels. It does look suspiciously like it's been designed to allow the hand of god to wind up some kind of internal mechanism though... :¬P

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

Yes, the chevrons were the cat's whiskers!

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

D'ya know I sat for ten minutes trying to think what the 'chevrons' were generally called! Senior moment I reckon.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It comes to all of us! My Lima green 101 doesn't even have the whiskers.

Reply to
MartinS

Q: Why don't cats shave?

A: Because nine out of ten prefer Whiskas!

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

the aerial was fitted when the unit was working in East Anglia between Ipswich and Lowestoft, the first line fitted with RETB, in the 1980's. It retained the aerial until it was scrapped

Dave Sallery

Homepage: wwwpenmorfacom

Reply to
Dave Sallery

.com...

And I'm wondering where to put all the bloody things.!! I have a largish layout, and already have 60% of perfectly good locos sitting around doing nothing!

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Just rotate them on and off the layout. Invent some fiction to justify it. :-)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Rob Kemp" wrote

I remember a friend passing a comment like that around twenty years ago - he now has approaching 1,000 locos and still bought two more this week!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from Wolf Kirchmeir contains these words:

No need for fiction! Just build up a working timetable. One rake of coaches can be a local semi-fast behind a Black Five, and the next time it reappears, behind a Jubilee, it's an express to the City, etc., etc..

After the WTT, your thoughts will turn to the speeded-up clock...

Reply to
David Jackson

Barry scrapyard :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

So can you get "addicted" to this stuff?

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

Err, well, err, you've seen my railway room!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Stop right there...do the authorities know you are saying things like this... that it is possible that something in little old England is actually

*bigger* than the same thing in North America? Isn't that treason or something?

Actually, Roger, I think it's just a mater of relative perspective; your antenna look smaller because the locomotives are 40 feet high.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

British pints and gallons are 20% bigger than US pints and gallons!

Reply to
MartinS

In message , MartinS writes

Lest anyone think that that 20% is exact, one should be aware that the fluid ounce is a different size in Britain and the US, so you get the following conversions to millilitres:

British US Fluid ounce 28.413 29.573 Pint 568.245 473.168 Gallon 4546 3785.344

from which you will see that the British pint is 20.09% bigger.

Incidentally, the US also has a dry pint, which equates to 551 ml. Heaven alone knows (i.e. I don't) what the smaller units that make this up are called (you can't call them fluid ounces if they're dry, can you?) or how many of them there are in a pint.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan