Future of steam R-T-R market

"MartinS" wrote

No, ours came first therefore US pints (and gallons) are *smaller* than ours.

Now that IS pedantic. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I also believe the Americans have a "Short Ton" which, if memory serves correctly, is only 2000 lbs compared with the 2240 of the British ton.

HTH

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Or the 2,204.622621849 pounds of the metric ton.

Reply to
MartinS

Pretty bloody close innit?

Haven't we had similar endless arguments about gauge, scale, etc.?

(1 US pint = 16 US fl oz, 1 Imperial pint = 20 Imp. fl oz)

I recently bought 8 cans of "draught" Guinness here in Canada, which came with a free glass. The cans hold 473ml, which is a US pint, however the glass is slightly larger (approx. 500ml) to allow for the head. It's still smaller than a British (or Irish) pint glass. Pints are one thing the Irish have refused to metricise.

Reply to
MartinS

Looking at this picture on Nigel Burkin's website begs the question, just what scale would a British outline model have to be in order to match the size of an American H0 locmotive. 5mm/ft, 6mm/ft?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That's what I had in mind.... :-) [...]

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

As far as the UK is concerned, a working timetable would be a 'work of fiction' :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The message from "kim" contains these words:

Not on *my* railway! The WTT is kept to quite strictly, and the clock ticks away the (speeded-up) minutes remorselessly...

Reply to
David Jackson