HO versus OO

I could live with that. It certainly would be a huge step forward if say, Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan(?) and Peco could agree on basic standards for 00 and mark all their products with a "fine-scale 00" logo. Hopefully this would cover wheels and couplings. Simon

Reply to
Simon

Looks like we are all going to find out as Heljan are planning a 66 in HO and OO.

Cheers

David

Reply to
davidcharlesworth

"davidcharlesworth" wrote

Yes, primarily for the enthusiasts on mainland Europe where these loco's also operate.

There's one thing for sure, my shop won't be stocking any in HO-scale, although I'll be happy to get them to special order for all of the throngs on here demanding 3.5mm to 1 foot versions. :-)

Not holding my breath! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Presumably, the HO ones will be in Continental liveries, so it would be the guys who model Continental railways who would want them. Do you normally stock Continental models in your shop John?

Martin

John Turner wrote:

Reply to
Martin Wykes

John Turner writes

I can't wait for the first emails along the lines of

"Dear Marge, I bought two 66s at a swapmeet but when I got home I found one was slightly bigger/smaller than the other. I don't understand, what can I do?"

"Dear Confused, put the small one at the back of the shed or on the far running line to enhance the perspective effect."

Reply to
Roderic Cameron

In message , Roderic Cameron writes

Dear Marge, I'm even more confused. The nickname for the class 66 ios "shed", so which one do I have to put behind the other and why do they look wrong both ways round.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Martin Wykes" wrote

Not as a general rule, although I do buy good quality used European models from time-to-time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Are you stocking the new Revell HO 'Big Boy' plastic kit? Decent review in this month's MR..........the ultimate static!

Cheers Robt P.

Reply to
robert.pollard2

"robert.pollard2" wrote

Don't deal with Revell, for no reason other than I've never had any demand for their products and I suspect for the number of Big-Boys we'd sell it wouldn't be worth our while looking at stocking it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's a new name for HO adherents then, throngs?

Reply to
Tessy

Unless someone commits to producing at least a reasonable selection of other British models in HO then the Heljan model won't do much in the UK.

Having an HO scale 66 doesn't help if there is nothing in HO scale for it to pull, or other HO scale models for the DMUs, etc. that will be part of the model railway.

Reply to
Gerald Henriksen

The Fleischmann Bulleid coaches are available. Roco and Liliput make ferry wagons.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , Gregory Procter writes

Of course, that's what they were. I wondered why that train I saw yesterday was so strange. It was a class 66 hauling a load of Bulleid coaches.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Are there any other modern locomotives (or stock) widely used both here and the continent? The only way I can see any manufacturer taking the risk of British outline HO is if the tooling was produced for other markets. A livery change for the UK would be a low risk strategy, but it would need more than a single model to be of any value. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
William Davies

"William Davies" wrote

Not really.

There are still some 08 look-a-likes in Holland but these are rapidly nearing the end of their lives and in any event are already modelled in HO by Roco.

The Woodhead line EM2 electrics were exported to Holland on withdrawal by BR and formed NS class 1500 - all of these are now out of traffic.

EWS have leased one (it may now be two) class 58 diesel-electrics to Dutch operator ACTS, but these are all out-of-use in the UK.

Hardly anything to suggest to a manufacturer that they risk their HO-scale budgets on.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Salvé "Simon" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Dear Simon, Well I wouldnt mind british HO aftr all it was an Englishman who invented the scale (A.R.Walkley)!! however the sheer volume of 4mm scale models makes it unlikely, it would be easier for the manufacturers to simply widen the gauge to prototype proportions:) the fact is that most european products would look silly on a british model, geman timber fram houses simply look wrong as do most french T/F houses, as do Danish and southern Swedish T/F houses. even brick built buildings require an amasing amount of rebuilding to make them look even vaguely british, and as for signals..... and if you want to be really paranoid try looking for platforms tht look british in europe, th N/G platform on my local station is approximately 6 inches high...well maybe 9..... does this sound british? no? well it is sad that if you want to build a british style railway you have to use british products coz virtually nothing in europe is useable, and if you want to model Irish railways forget about buying RTR in any scale :( (except possibly N/G stuff?) it would be nice to be able to run european and british stuff on a model but it isnt going to happen and for quite practical reasons :( sad really. Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

First the complaint is "there is no rolling stock produced" and now it's "the wrong ..." How fussy can you get? ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , Gregory Procter writes

Since you asked, the answer is "Very".

And in any case, I would really like to have an HO 66. Preferably No.

6622, in filthy black, and a load of HO mineral wagons to go with it, not to mention a few HO brake vans, some HO Collett suburban coaches, etc., etc., ad nauseam; and I'd like them now, please.

Can't oblige? Oh dear, what a shame.

I'd better stick to OO, then.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Of course I can oblige! All you need is money. :-) The Lima HO models make a reasonable basis for wagons and brakevans - I can supply suitable wheelsets to NMRA RP 25 standards. Collett suburban coaches can be supplied by the etched coach kit manufacturers in HO for the same price as OO ones.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

It seems to me that the main disadvantage of OO over HO is the limited countries,eras one can easily model in OO. By that I mean that I can model/run North and/or South American and/or European , South African, Australian,Chinese or Japanese equipment right off of the shelf. Whereas in

00 you can basically only find UK/Irish rollingstock......not much from any other locale or period. Seems to me that this deprives the 00 modeller of the variety that HO modellers have to choose from.
Reply to
Gene