HO versus OO

In message , Andy Stephenson writes

Things are funny in the far east. In Japan they model to 1/80, so in Australia I wouldn't be surprised if OO were 1/72.

Reply to
John Sullivan

No, Australian OO is the same scale as UK OO.

Or at least it was - perhaps Flynn has published a web page that "proves" otherwise...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Is there any leader?

Reply to
Mark W

1/72 is a common scale for model aeroplanes. Tanks (etc) seem to claim to be anything from 1:87 to 1:72.
Reply to
Arthur Figgis

The first batch of Docklands Light Railway stock went to Essen, where AFAIK it is still painted in DLR colours.

Reply to
John Rowland

Good point. The Croydon and some Koeln trams are similar designs, as well.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

The second batch too, actually.

True for the first batch:

The second batch was repainted in Essen colours:
Sven

Reply to
Sven Manias

Arthur Figgis wrote in article ...

Also similar except for the front design, are these trams from Stockholm, Gouda - Alphen (Netherlands) and Istanbul:

Regards, David

Reply to
David Eerdmans

I remember reading about a class 319 emu being used to transport some VIPs through the tunnel shortly after the wires were energised; I think it went to Chart Leacon first to have its panto modified. I believe it ventured as far as Calais Fréthun. I have never seen any pictures of this.

Also, weren't class 47s used for some kind of test runs before the tunnel was opened for traffic? Did they run under their own power in France?

Reply to
Kapitan Klink

There were two of them, now named 319008 Cheriton and 319009 Coquelles, and they have a plaque on the side to commemerate it.

I suppoose some of the Chunnel works trains probbaly worked on both sides of the underground border.

Class 47s are diesels, wouldn't that cause trouble in the tunnel without fitting all scrubbers and things?

When I get chance I'll compile this thread into a webpage, to see if we can get a definitive list.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

23rd February 1993 - BR 47973 and 47974 were utlised on high speed overhead catenary testing within the tunnel at up to 100 mph. These did not reach France.

I've kept a list of all sorts of stuff like this.

-- Nick

Reply to
D7666

Are you sure Peco code 75 has flange ways of 1.39mm? That appears to be coarser than the Peco code 75 we get down under, which is around 1.25mm flange ways. As far as I can see, Peco is improving the UK RTR standard with their code 75 track, forcing Hornby to fall into line with Bachman. Peco set track is using coarser flange ways, so it can be used with older Hornby models.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

A pair of Strathclyde orange and black 156's (401/402??) also went to the same show. I saw them at Dover in transit to (or from) the event in Hamburg. Incidentally, they're the only pair of Strathclyde 156's I've ever seen!!!

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

The 'next best' (from the modellers point of view) would be to

Bachmann's Pannier tank, set of wheels from Ultrascale and its running in half an hour.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove