Hornby Black 5 question..

Only just been pointed at this group: Does anyone know if a Hornby R2258 "Black 5" loco body can be replaced with the body of an earlier incarnation? I'm try to create a resonably accurate model of 45179 and have only just found a photograph that shows it to be domeless (1954 at Nairn) I didn't realise how many variations there were - reason for chosing this example - there is a published account of it being driven by my Great Uncle on the Callander & Oban - citation "Ace Enginemen" - Norman McKillop.

Gavin.Hamilton

Not only variations but also boiler changes. 5179 had a domed boiler between Sep 42 and Mar 50.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I'm attempting to model it in late 1950's/early 1960's condition - the model I bought, before I learnt about the assorted variations is 44721 and it's nicely weathered, so I'm looking for an easy way of creating an accurate 45179 but I need a more accurate starting point - R2258 is certainly more accurate below the running plate hence the ide of getting an earlier body..

Gavin.Hamilton

How earlier are you thinking of going, the pre super detail (aka tender drive) are pretty awful when next to such as R2258. Domeless versions do exist in the super detail range eg R2257 but thats in LMS livery. Dont know if theres one in late BR, but worth checking (or even early BR). All depends on how much repainting you are willing to do. If you cant find all variations of super detail, let me know and will dive into 'bookshelf' and check Hornby catalogs.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Hi Simon,

As probably the worst painter around I really would like a "super detail" late BR livery domeless example which would *hopefully* only need renumbering.. though I'd like to add a snowplow! (purely for aesetic reasons - being a "north of the border example")

Gavin.Hamilton

"Gavin.Hamilton" wrote: Snip

Presumably you are looking for the version with a combined dome & topfeed.

R2904 "45190" and R2995XS "45010" are both due from Hornby later this year and would seem to fit the bill except for the snow plough.

The latter is weathered and DCC sound fitted with a riveted tender. The former is in the so-called Pete Waterman Range, and has a smooth tender and is ex-works.

Better start saving up!

Dave W

Reply to
Riddles

Thanks Dave, the snow plough comment was, to a degree, written in jest though 5179 did have the bolt holes for a snow plough but fitting one to the model would be down to sourcing a detail kit - assuming one exists! The only photographs I've seen make it difficult to work out the tender details (in the Nairn 1954 shot it has a lined tender with the early BR emblem) but the other photo is in LMS days and even less clear - both are to be found in LMS Locomotive Profiles #5 - pictorial supplement. It appears that it had a top feed cover but no dome though I've read enough to realise that ScR/St Rollox went their own way.. I'll probably go for R2995XS and try to find someone else to paint/renumber it for me...

I'm saving for many things at present.

Gavin.Hamilton

The trap into which I fall every few years tis not a dome but :- "...clack boxes mounted either side of a central casting, which had a dome-like cover..." as described in LMS loco profiles no. 5.

R2555 and R2449 are domeless with late crest but not weathered. They are the named ones but should be easy to remove nameplates. Must get an up to date copy of Pat Hammonds book to save looking through 10 catalogues :-) Didnt check trainsets though.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Tender details in LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 5. Bit uncertain cos no ducumentation, Mk1 rivited in 1950 but seen with Mk2 in Aug 54.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Glancing through the Profiles pictorial supplement there are numerous examples of "Top feed cover" but no dome so getting nearer to the target.

Gavin.Hamilton

If you look at the photo on page 12 of 45011 then it is described as domed. The dome is in front of the firebox, then the top feed (without a dome shaped cover) is towards the smoke box. More frequently with domed boilers the top feed is nearer the firebox than the smokebox as in 5154 on page 22. Also on page 22 the upper photo of 45176 shows a rare example of a domed boiler where the top feed retained the dome like cover. Makes it look like it has 2 domes :-)

Initially all boilers domeless, some rebuilt with domes some not. Then boilers swapped on locos, not always same type of boiler. Consequently no pattern.

Cheers, Simon

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Also, there is a picture of 45154, on page 72, with a top feed cover but no dome (the top feed cover being nearer to the firebox). So much for

842 *identical* locomotives. Comparing this shot with that of 45179 at Nairn I would say it's a more or less identical boiler...and is what I'm seeking. I'll get there one day. G
Reply to
Gavin.Hamilton

Just be grateful its not a Caprotti or Stephensons valve gear version - even more expensive conversion :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I'm just wishing a plague on those who think they are all alike/indentical! I am glad that I'm not trying to replicate those...

Gavin.Hamilton

Blame Swindon, it suited them to have low superheat and removing steam from just in front of the firebox :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon