Hornby new Black 5

I have just found the bag of extra bits in the bottom of my Black 5 box. The brake rods snap in easily - I imagine a few spots of cement will hold them securely. The small sand pipes seem very difficult to apply accurately - any comments? There is a warning not to attach the front running board steps before checking bogie clearance on your layout.

There is also a spare coupling. If this is for the front, there is a hole in the front bogie but nothing to attach it with; if for the tender, can anyone tell me how to remove the original one? I find the shank too flexible (and fragile?), and it tends to under-ride other Hornby and Bachmann couplings when pushing. Is there anything I can replace it with? Is it compatible with NEM? Is it the same as on the new Pullmans? Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks Mike. They give you the bits then don't tell you how attach them.

BTW, to save me Googling through previous posts, does anyone have a direct e-mail address for Hornby Customer Service?

Reply to
MartinS

OK thanks Rob, I'll try on Monday.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks for the advice, Enzo. I wasn't seriously thinking of installing a front coupling, I just wondered what the spare was for - and my bag of bits was screwless. I still haven't succeeded in removing the rear one. I haven't been able to fully remove the tender baseplate either. I didn't want to break anything when I've just got it.

Reply to
MartinS