Hornby Factory Shop

I've just visited the Hornby Factory Shop for the first time. It was a childhood dream - a bit like going to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory :) Sadly it was pretty small and the prices were not particularly attractive either :(

I can understand there are good reasons for it being like that, but I just thought I'd pass it on in case anyone's planning on making a long journey to go there.

Reply to
Gerald H

Yes open every Friday, Saturday & Sunday until Christmas.

Friday 1pm-6pm Saturday 10am - 4pm Sunday 10am - 4pm

Hornby Hobbies Westwood Industrial Estate Margate Kent CT9 4JX

Do they have a 'Hornby Factory Shop' in China ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I was thinking that he actually meant China! How can they have a factory shop when they don't have a factory? Perhaps they should call it a box opening shop!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

It used to be a factory ;)

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I think they call it a 'staff shop' the rest of the year !

The person from the link

suggested they 'remake' some of the old Triang stuff as year end one off's .... what do you think ?

They are already 'repackaging' Lima kit as Railroad

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I think they call it a 'staff shop' the rest of the year !

The person from the link

suggested they 'remake' some of the old Triang stuff as year end one off's .... what do you think ?

They are already 'repackaging' Lima kit as Railroad

Chris

how about selling returns/seconds on an as is basis ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well if you are going to spend the resources to remake something it seems a bit pointless to do it to 1960s standards. The Lima stuff is simply being released as they originally were except with new motors fitted.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Dragon Heart" wrote

suggested they 'remake' some of the old Triang stuff as year end one off's .... what do you think ?

Jeesus (appropriate for this time of year), how about asking Ford to make Consuls and Zephyrs?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Fred X" wrote

The Railroad range is not the exclusive preserve of ex-Lima products; there are ex-Triang items in there too - Freightliner wagons for starters.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What's wrong with 1949 Prefects???

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

"Greg.Procter" wrote

Nothing, but I doubt Ford would seriously consider offering them in the current market. My grandfather was seriously chuffed with his, but has happy to swap it for the 1954 100E.

Mind you, you'll still be using such beasts as these as every day transport in New Zealand.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I bought a 1948 Ford 10 in 1968 because many girls weren't allowed out on the back of my motorcycle. I owned it for 6 months and it would start on cold mornings ... but never once on a Friday or Saturday night! I haven't seen one on NZ roads for at least 25 years - that's when we discovered Japanese cars and dumped all those awful British cars in about 15 minutes flat!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

"Greg.Procter" wrote

We dumped them just as quickly, but there are one or two enthusiasts here who keep a some running. My mate has a late 60s Ford Anglia for instance, but goodness knows why - they're flippin' awful.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Is he a Harry Potter fan?! :~)

I assume you mean by modern standards, in their day they were a LOT better than many of the competition, in fact the Ford Anglia was still no worse a car in the mid to late '70s (that is, even

*after* they had gone out of production, to be replaced by the Ford Escort) than many of the then imports from Japan - the early Honda Civic (for example) was diabolical, what made people by them was that they were cheap and came with most of the then 'optional extras' [1] as standard. [1] if you didn't mind having only a MW/LW radio that (by the late 70's) would not pick up most of the BBC's national radio output!
Reply to
Jerry