Hornby Pendolino

"simon" wrote
There are already similarly priced low-cost decoders on the market that have better features and which are genuinely NMRA compliant.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote
I am wondering what sort of batteries are used in the wireless command station, and how long they will last.
Admittedly TV remote control batteries last many months but they are not used continuously. I had wondered whether there was a recharging facility but I can see no evidence of one.
DW
Reply to
David Westerman
"simon" wrote
It depends what you want to do with it.
My Compact runs on a 3amp power source and provides enough power for my needs [1]. Most people are unlikely to be capable of 'operating' more than two or three trains at once, and Bachmann claim their unit will operate up to six.
[1] the most I ever needed to run on my (approx) 20' x 10' was five locos simultaneously - two double-headed trains and one loco shunting.
I assume anyone wanting something with more ooomph will look elsewhere.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Wouldnt have thought bachmann would be that careless after all they are promising they will work together.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote
The converse in reality. Lenz recommend a TR150 (5amp) transformer to power their Set 100 command centre, but you need a lower output TR100 (3amp) transformer to power the accessory decoders.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"David Westerman" wrote
I have a wireless hand controller attached to my Lenz Compact and it uses standard AA rechargeable batteries.
I get several operating sessions between re-charges.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Also, this thing has to have more than one IR transmitter to guarantee good signal distribution. Along with the LCD display and all the other electronics, it's going to eat batteries a lot faster than a TV remote.
Battery life aside, I think the IR link is the weakest point but we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
Thought it was supposed to be for both. On the elite there is 4 amps, 3 for locos and one for accessories eg points.
So would that make 2 for locos and 1 for accessories ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
I'm averse to too many components in one box as when one goes wrong the whole thing is out - same with TV, video, dvd combination boxes.
It means extra cables (locally) but a seperate module for wifi would be nice !
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote
I am wondering what sort of batteries are used in the wireless command station, and how long they will last.
DW
I never thought of that Dave ? I would have thought that powering the screen takes some "Juice" too if it is backlit. Look at PDF's etc. Lithium batteries are ok, but still have a life expectancy. OK so we can argue that Mobile phone batteries etc have improved, but again, the are not powering a lit display 24/7.
So what happened if the batteries die mid session ? How do you stop the train other than unplug the 3 pin from the mains ? Erm.....
Why infra red ? Would Bluetooth not have been better ? No line of sight and possibly a greater distance ?
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
Andy Sollis CVMRD said the following on 30/03/2007 10:44:
I wouldn't have thought a model railway controller would be on 24/7 either.
I would have assumed that if the receiver stopped getting a signal from the controller, all trains will stop. Wouldn't they? Surely they would...
Infra-red does seem a strange choice it has to be said. I'm not sure about Bluetooth either (I can just see hoards of mobile phones at exhibitions piping up when they detect something Bluetooth in the area!), but wireless transmission of some sort would have been better, I think.
Reply to
Paul Boyd
Batteries; I'm only interested in products where the batteries are fairly standard. If I can't get a spare in a few years time, I don't want the product. So, that makes rechargeable AA's (etc) the preferred choice.
Simple - cost. IR does the job adequately for most home installations. Anything else would have increased manufacturing costs.
For exhibition use I'd be a bit concerned about IR interference - other operators and stray light.
- Nigel
Reply to
Nigel Cliffe
Nigel Cliffe said the following on 30/03/2007 12:22:
Ditto - I've bought or advised on several digital cameras, and one criteria right near the top of the list is - can I bung in a set of Duracells in an emergency?
Perhaps I haven't really looked into the Bachmann site closely, but why have wireless remote at all for the "master" station? I can see the benefits for a handheld controller, but not this. Or is this lump meant to be handheld? Having said all that, if this lives up to the blurb I wouldn't let the fact that it's infra-red put me off.
Exactly. A shaft of bright sunlight in the wrong place isn't going to help things much.
Reply to
Paul Boyd
From theit website FAQ:
Q ? I need lots of power, more than the 2.5 amps which is provided with Dynamis. A ? If you require additional power then you can add one or more of the EZ Command 5 amp boosters which are connected to the DCC output of Dynamis.
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian

Site Timeline