Hornby Pendolino

Elite has genuine four digit addressing and is railcom compatible. Doesnt have wireless control but raise you 2 dials for controlling 2 locos without pressing any buttons.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Why do you need two control dials?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Its not a need (same as wireless is not a need) but I like the idea of bringing coal wagons from main line with one loco, uncouple then take away with second one. Can concentrate on locos better and have movements overlap.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

But that's so easy to do with just one control knob.

Of course wireless operation is not necessary, but it is the one single feature of DCC that has seriously improved the enjoyment of my railway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Diversity is a great thing, so if its right for you excellent.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Oh, and the way I have things set up would have a gap of 2 inches between the 2 wireless bits

Reply to
simon

That would explain the gap between the loco and tender on Hornby's models. The fireman is obviously sending wi-fi messages to the driver :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , simon writes

That's not realistic. On the prototype, the second loco would be driven by a second driver, so you yourself should not be controlling it if you were controlling the first one.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Nor should he be changing the points or signals. Nor would either loco be powered by a 12v DC electric motor. Nor....

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Speaking personaly - we may inhabit one body but there are many of us available for different roles.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Wifi would be ok, but infra red ? Oi stop waving that tender about.

Reply to
simon

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

But movements are controlled by a signalman (sorry signaller for the pc brigade) and only under very specific circumstances would both be allowed to move at the same time. In the latter case then I could potentially see the need for two controllers, although the information I was given by our Hornby rep suggests that only one of the control knobs on the Elite can be used at any one time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm playing !

However its at the boundary of private colliery line with main line. Does the LMS loco enter the pit line, or can it sit outside having reversed wagons into the colliery line. The colliery loco stays within the pit line and moves forward after wagons uncoupled at the same time as the LMS loco is moving off. Presumably the pit loco isnt under signalmans controll ?

Would be interested in the correct way of doing this if anyone can help - even pointer to suitable text.

True on the control, but to paraphrase the instructions :- to operate loco 1 turn control 1, screen changes to loco under that control. to operate loco 2 turn control 2, screen changes to loco under that control.

So to switch between 2 locos just turn relevant dial slightly. That I like. Very fast and no worry about re-selecting locos, no extra buttons. Can set LMS loco on its way - slowly then switch to pit one to approach for coupling and a variety of similar movements.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Would be interested in the correct way of doing this if anyone can help - even pointer to suitable text. Cheers, Simon

We had two situations like this on the CVR route prior to preservation era, Oakamoor sand sidings and the Cheddleton mental hospital electric tram way. Both maps show a section of line where they were owned by the operating company, but the LMS/BR had running rights over so many yards of the sidings/head shunt off the main line - hence the term "Limit of shunt" etc. I have a map of the Cheddleton tramway one at Leekbrook Junction if you would like me to e-mail ?

So, no, in that case, neither are under the control of a signalman, just common sence and safety not to have two locos going at once, although there would be nothing to say it couldn't, especially if you had two guards/shunters on the job - that may have been the limiting fact.

The exit from the private line would have been under the control of the signalbox etc...

Hope this helps an i'm correct, sure someone will say if I'm not !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Thanks for that offer, have emailed you offline.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In the US they have remote control for yard locos so its not inconceivable that a driver of one train could control a switcher to take cars off of his train. Very unlikely to happen in practice though. Maybe one of the DCC manufactures could get a belt based controller the same as the operators in the US use to control their switchers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris